Submitted by Direct_Produce_7862 t3_yx9l93 in RhodeIsland

Hello! This is a pretty random question haha! I live in Canada and my friend from RI is coming to visit. I want to make a box with Canadian snacks for her; however, she told me you guys can get a lot of the typical “Canadian” things there…like ketchup chips, dill pickle chips, aero, o Henry…..I’m wondering if there are any snack connoisseurs out there who might be able to let me know what Canadian snacks you can’t get there???

Thank you in advance!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

nahrgs t1_iwno66m wrote

As a Canadian, living in Rhode Island, I always ask for people to bring me a coffee crisp. Also, I've never seen ketchup chips in RI or OHenry although those are essentially Baby Ruth's.

I'm not sure where you are in Canada but just take your friend to bulk barn. My wife's head explodes everytime we go there when we visit. Nothing like it in the US.

nathanaz t1_iwnrhqf wrote

If you’re interested, ocean state job lot has ketchup chips from time to time (along with a bunch of other weird flavors )

degggendorf t1_iwokb1j wrote

And Aldi has been semi-routinely getting dill pickle chips in

nahrgs t1_iwnroj2 wrote

Thanks for the heads up! Personally, I'm not a big fan so I'm not exactly seeking them out.

Siren74 t1_iwnpfcs wrote

Seconding Coffee Crisp! It’s my favorite and I can never find it down here. Also, a Rhode Islander will especially appreciate the coffee connection. (It’s kind of like coffee milk… but candy!!)

MediaCrisis t1_iwo3sfs wrote

I don't know if they ALL have them, but the stop and shop on atwood ave in cranston has coffee crisps.

Also OP, I always ask for the st hubert gravy mix packets for when I try to make sad american poutine at home.

nahrgs t1_iwo40sv wrote

I refuse to believe him they've been this close to me this whole time.

boulevardofdef t1_iwq8cj2 wrote

My research reveals that the Canadian Oh Henry! is sold in the U.S. as Rally, though it's not very common. Oh Henry! is actually an American candy bar, but the Canadian version is now different.

andrewjking1 t1_iwpocmm wrote

I remember for about a week, for some odd reason, the Cumberland Farms on Killingly St. in Johnston had ketchup chips five or so years ago

Unique-Public-8594 t1_iwnn2ot wrote

POUTINE

BlackbirdDesignRI t1_iwo74bq wrote

Dan’s Place in West Greenwich has great poutine! You can also get poutine at Friskie Fries (storefront and food truck)!

JKBone85 t1_iwob98c wrote

Ciro’s in Woonsocket has a good poutine.

Nomadhero_ t1_iwo45i4 wrote

Hi! You seem like a swell friend. Good luck with your snack packing :)

SubtleCardigan t1_iwoggiu wrote

I’m a Canadian living in MA, and have a few recos:

• some Canadian products are better IMO even when they seem same, specifically KitKat and Peanut M&Ms (Canada’s KitKat is made by Nestle whereas the US one is Hersheys)
  • sour keys
  • Mini Eggs, yes the easter ones but all year round
  • Caramilk (the US has Caramello but its not the same)
  • Hickory sticks
  • Crunchie bar

Euler2358 t1_iwobd0b wrote

All dressed potato chips. That’s what I stock up on when I’m back up north.

boulevardofdef t1_iwq8jv3 wrote

Every since I learned about those, after I get dressed, I always say, "I'm all dressed, like Canadian potato chips."

Ryland42 t1_iwo1uix wrote

Picard's peanuts...I visit friends who live in Canada and bring back tons of peanuts and other snacks from them

amcagg t1_iwprswo wrote

Peek Frean cookies?

anal_gland_expressor t1_iwo9m01 wrote

You can’t commonly find pepperoni sticks/pepperettes, Coffee Crisp, Smarties, Aero, Caramillk. Wine gums. Cuban Lunch. Vachon cakes like Joe Louis and the caramel one.

Haligoneagain t1_iwoi0cu wrote

Ringolos, the Nacho flavoured crunchy Cheetos (last time I could only find those at Shoppers, so they may be on their way out), Crispers, Mr. Big, Chunky KitKats, all the crazy Aero flavours (Nanaimo bar?).

thescimitar t1_iworuty wrote

Tim Hortons, or as my wife describes it, "Timmy Horties"

ToadScoper t1_iwprq69 wrote

I barely remember when there used to be Tim Hortons in east providence, it’s probably been over 15 years since they left RI…. Unfortunately timmies couldn’t coexist with the almighty reign of Dunkin

laterbacon t1_iwrkhj0 wrote

I think they're specific to Newfoundland, but Jam Jams..

Loveroffinerthings t1_iwspwsd wrote

Ah man, all the talk of coffee crisp makes me miss them even more. Last time I was in Montreal I bought lots of Havana Club Rum, not Canadian, but closest place to get it 🤓