Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] OP t1_j0niek3 wrote

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j0ohg3s wrote

The best answer is MA. Seriously (even if its just into Attleboro or Seekonk). The schools are far better run, overall, and MA doesn't mismanage them nearly as much (along with every other service at the state level). There's a reason that MA ranks highest and RI rank drops massively despite the proximity. The disparity also makes it to where many talented teachers flee for job openings in MA (just like everyone else who commutes out of state) because the state is just overall less combative and has a functioning pension system.

I am the first to argue that the schools here are more than fine for an average kid, but it sounds like you've identified very specific needs in your child and you're far more likely to get good policy decisions if you don't cross the border.

The one exception I will say is that there are some extremely specialized private schools for IEPs in state, but they are going to be 50k+.

bungocheese t1_j0pf7ra wrote

The schools in attleboro are rated well below the top 10-20 in RI, maybe not specifically with iep kids though

[deleted] OP t1_j0pxwle wrote

[deleted]

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j0q2aor wrote

Yeah, if the savings help you pay for private services that's a whole other situation. I misunderstood your post as looking for a stronger service in Warwick/Cranston etc. I'm just trying to be honest that you're likely to continue to be frustrated down here with the likes of RIDE. There are some extremely highly regarded programs in EP, i think, and near Pt Judith that are private and designed for IEP students. Out of the districts you mentioned, Cranston West has the best reputation for gen ed by far.