Submitted by I_JohnnyDepp t3_10pm8wh in RhodeIsland

My friend who lives in Korea and my cousin who lives in Florida are visiting this week. We were planning on going to Boston next Saturday (Feb 4) but I just checked the news forecast and Im not taking a Floridian into 17 degree weather, sounds like torture. Does anyone have any suggestions for some unique experiences in Rhode Island that isnt going to break the bank?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

laterbacon t1_j6lugqh wrote

The Pinball Museum in Pawtucket is really cool. It's $10 for admission and that includes all the pinball you can play

https://www.electromagneticpinballmuseum.com/

As a bonus, it's directly on the R-Line which is currently free and runs at least every 15-20 minutes on weekends.

Doobz87 t1_j6m49w8 wrote

I had no idea this existed! I know what I'm doing next weekend!

FieryVegetables t1_j6mhp0d wrote

It’s amazing! Most of the games even work properly, so it’s lots of fun!

LauraPalmersMom430 t1_j6le2t7 wrote

• drive to Beavertail and park and watch the sunset over the cliffs by the lighthouse
  • RISD art museum and nature lab, grab a coffee at bolt, then walk across the street and check out the Providence Athenaeum
  • Roger Williams Botanical Garden or Jordan Jungle if you’re into plants
  • Movie at the Avon or Columbus theater and then hit up The Avery/Moniker/Beer on Earth/Bayberry Beer Hall for drinks afterwards
  • Bowling?

Double-Diamond-4507 t1_j6p7v7b wrote

Better yet, duckpin bowling in Warwick. Duckpin bowling is a New England thing

catman1761 t1_j6pis0h wrote

National championships were held in Johnston at Town Hall Lanes

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j6mge6o wrote

A photo at the Brown University gates (College/Prospect) and another at the state capitol

Seven Stars Bakery for coffee

Al Forno’s (best pizza honors and award from the Italian government)

Greg’s Deli lunch (and take home a chocolate cake)

PV Donuts (1 each Masala, Passion Fruit, and Boston Cream)

Walk down Benefit Street

Check out the mural on Friendship Street

Theater at Trinity

Take out from Pastiche

Ice skating down town open air rink

Pizza on Federal Hill, deep dish Sicilia’s

Day trip loop to Coffee Depot in Warren, DeWolfe Tavern in Bristol, Ocean Ave scenic drive in Newport (you can park at LaSalle to walk the cliff walk if weather permits), Thames Street cobblestones in Newport, Beavertail in Jamestown, and a stop in Wickford.

Add pizza strips, coffee syrup, Del’s, chowdah, and New York System for the win.

~~

Source-Al Forno:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/11/30/best-pizza-in-america/3785309/

DCLexiLou t1_j6muyu5 wrote

Visit the greenhouses at Roger Williams Park and/or the Brown University ones off Thayer St.

N8710 t1_j6n57w7 wrote

17 is the high for the day, that’s being optimistic. It won’t reach that temperature until mid afternoon. It’s going to be dangerously cold outside.

That being said, I would plan some nice indoor activities nearby where you will be staying. You don’t want to be driving around in that weather. People have left some great options here, so won’t reiterate.

subtle_likeatrex t1_j6mipll wrote

The RISD museum is pretty great!

Also, being the food-obsessed state that we are, I strongly recommend visiting one of the big weekend farmers markets, and look up what pop-up vendors are going to be at breweries/wineries/distilleries. Going to standard RI places like NY System and wherever pizza strips come from is cool, but I don't think they represent the actual culture here well enough. If you miss the weekend, Hope & Main just opened a cool cafe & market in downtown - lots of RI-made products there, and bfast/lunch.

Our coffee game is worth showing off, too. Borealis is my favorite (their new Bristol shop does boozy drinks at night!), but also Bolt and certainly New Harvest (also serving evening boozy drinks!)

Last suggestion! Roger Williams Park Botanical Garden is a beautiful place to escape winter for a bit.

Good luck!

Double-Diamond-4507 t1_j6p7hyt wrote

The RISD is free on Sundays Friend. That could be your whole afternoon right there

MT_Photos t1_j6lced4 wrote

Slater Mill - industrial revolution of the US began there

Newport Day Trip - Floridian may not love it but most people internationally love it. Americas cup significance, museums - lots there

Federal Hill - take them to Venda or Tony's + a nice dinner

Throwawayyy1295 t1_j6mprac wrote

Bundle up and go outside. RI has so many unique places outside. Newport in the off season is lovely. No major commitments to be outside long and plenty of year round restaurants to eat and warm up in.

KennyWuKanYuen t1_j6orv5h wrote

Go for a photoshoot near sunset at the pedestrian bridge. Quite scenic. Hit up Junior’s if you want a late night snack (better than Harry’s IMO). Explore Thayer. Mingle with Brown and RISD students.

tusk354 t1_j6lhjot wrote

go to an escape room in RI, or the smash n splash!