Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j3tyl41 wrote

I don't think so and I'm from a "friendly" (read: passive aggressive platitudes) state. Rhode Island circles are hard to break into because people already have their circles after decades, but the same could be said about moving to a small town in any "friendly" state. After many years of working with locals, I have much more of a dedicated community than I ever did in my home state (but admittedly, it is hard to make plans with someone who is always going to a second cousins first communion or providing childcare for extended family). I'm from a small family, so I have no experience with those dynamics.

This is going to be a hot take, but the real estate gold rush here is far more unfriendly and un-neighborly than anything I experienced in the past. Before I get dumped on for this, I don't mean mellow people looking for a home from other areas and finding their footing, but the "investors take note" type plugging in airbnbs, sitting on a house for a year without moving in and reselling for 100k profit, and flippers taking a starter home and increasing the price 5x after some new paint and appliances. Some of these are longterm locals, but I'd say many aren't and this profit-obsessed-type lacks investment in the community which, to me, is properly unfriendly.

I'd rather live next to someone who keeps to themselves in their home or than a vacant investment, airbnb, or construction site.