Submitted by Raerae126 t3_10plntl in RhodeIsland

It's sad to say but I was born and raised here and know nothing to do in this state. Usually when my Bf (27) and I (22f) get bored we'll walk around the providence mall but that gets boring really fast. So does anyone have recommendations? During the winter it's too cold for outside stuff but during the summer everything is packed. We only get Saturday and Sunday mornings together and I just want out of the house

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RandomChurn t1_j6mk767 wrote

Now (February) is the perfect time to go to the Botanical Gardens in Roger Wms Park. Cross the threshold and you're in Tahiti. And in February the citrus trees are in bloom 🤤 -- I've spent a small fortune seeking that fragrance in a bottle: it's divine

Then go over to the Natural History Museum. Two years ago we did a behind-the-scenes tour of the stored collection. Got to go through drawers and actually pick up and hold dinosaur bones and large chunks of rare minerals and loads of other fascinating stuff. Ask while you're there when they will be doing another.

Then visit the Planetarium next door. Then do the Zoo; I love the Zoo in winter. You can get breaks to warm up by going into the pavilions with special collections.

Then take the south park exit and go eat at Apsaras.

Another nice day, park on East Street and walk across the pedestrian bridge into India Point Park. First, walk right to the Community Boat House and read the historical plaque there, then head east and read all the rest all the way to the opposite end where the last (and my personal favorite) is, overlooking Brown's boat house. Then stroll over to Narragansett Brewery. Or go back to your car and if it's any day Wed-Sun, go to Ives St and pick out one of the little eateries there.

Take a slow drive around Swan Point Cemetery. Stop at the building just inside the entrance and ask nicely for a brochure. It's like 30 pages with a comprehensive description of the monuments, what the symbolism means (ex: broken pillar = life cut short) and bits about the most famous people buried there.

All the trees are labeled. It's an arboretum, and one of only five park/garden cemeteries in the US.

There are three roads that end at the river. You can walk along riverfront paths. We saw an otter there once.

Neutaconkanut Hill, Plainfield St, Silver Lake, Providence

Park at the base and climb up the hill by any one of several marked trails. Great view from the top.

There are some highly-recommended Mexican / Central American hole-in-the-wall restaurants there; at least one is right on Plainfield

There are places that you can see seals right from shore this time of year but I haven't gone yet. Down around East Greenwich?

And find a copy of "Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island". It's got them all mapped out with trails, est. time they take, degree of difficulty, where to park, descriptions of what each offers.

FieryVegetables t1_j6n0nb4 wrote

This a great set of ideas! I was going to recommend the botanical gardens.

Loveroffinerthings t1_j6l790u wrote

Walking up and down black stone blvd is nice, then going to an eatery on the East Side. A nice walk, then pastries from Madrid with a cafe con leche makes a day like today just great.

owsleythehunter t1_j6nbatj wrote

Go for a hike in the winter. We have beautiful places all around that offer unique perspectives in the winter. If there’s snow, there’s nothing more peaceful than the sound of silence in the woods.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j6mg0ii wrote

One or more of these?

A photo at the Brown University gates (College/Prospect) and another at the state capitol

Seven Stars Bakery for coffee

Al Forno’s (best pizza honors and award from the Italian government)

Greg’s Deli lunch - take home one of their chocolate cakes.

PV Donuts (1 each Masala, Passion Fruit, and Boston Cream)

Walk down Benefit Street

Check out the mural on Friendship Street

Theater at Trinity

Take out from Pastiche

Ice skating down town open air rink

Pizza on Federal Hill, deep dish Sicilia’s

Day trip loop to Coffee Depot in Warren, DeWolfe Tavern in Bristol, Ocean Ave scenic drive in Newport (you can park at LaSalle to walk the cliff walk if weather permits), Thames Street cobblestones in Newport, Beavertail in Jamestown, and a stop in Wickford.

Add pizza strips, coffee syrup, Del’s, chowdah, and New York System for the win.

~~

Source-Al Forno:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/11/30/best-pizza-in-america/3785309/