Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

buffymiffington t1_j5x94dy wrote

So well-stated! I work for a state office. The pushback from municipalities is REAL. The House of Representatives has said it will be announcing a package of housing this year. Multiple towns have already opposed it - and it isn’t even out yet! They don’t even know what the legislation is or any details, and they’re opposing it.

Zachary055 t1_j5ybn20 wrote

I watch some local town council meetings and I see that towns push back hard for the local zoning changes. I hear a lot that “the state is trying to control us”. When the new ADU legislation rolled out I hear some are trying to block it from happening. What is this new legislation you speak about going to do?

samskeyti_ t1_j63o1d9 wrote

Yep, Senator Gordon Rogers already went to Foster because he is trying to get the rural towns to hire a lobbyist to fight back… meanwhile when I canvass out here a lot of people are frustrated they can’t have ADU’s.

sigh

buffymiffington t1_j66ob5w wrote

Tell people to contact their elected official. Honestly, they do listen. Senators and Reps get very reactive if they hear the same thing from multiple people in their district.

samskeyti_ t1_j66oehk wrote

Senator Rogers is my elected official.

buffymiffington t1_j66ohfg wrote

Ouch. Who’s your Rep?

Edited to add: would people consider a petition? Like do you think there are enough folks to band together and sign something? That could also spur some action.

samskeyti_ t1_j66ojqx wrote

Quattrocchi. :D /s

buffymiffington t1_j66ow6h wrote

Oh man. I’m sorry.

Yeah, a petition might be your best bet. Another option is sending written testimony to the House and Senate about the legislation. You may not be able to get your rep/senator to vote the way you’d like, but it would get your point across to the other folks on the committee.

ETA: town council? A lot of zoning issues are enacted at the local level. The more granular the level of govt, the more reactive they usually are to feedback.

samskeyti_ t1_j66p7pb wrote

Yeah, I’ve been up to the state house a few times to give public testimony… good times. I have good rapport with other members of the GA… it’s just hard when your elected officials are… the way they are. I have a good rapport with the town council… and tbh I think there may be an OMA violation with how it was handled in foster… we will see.

buffymiffington t1_j66qdnu wrote

Yeah, doing public testimony is a pain, but you can do written too. And yeah, that does suck. Do they win by a significant margin? Other option is running someone against them.