Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

goofwayne t1_jeak5an wrote

i think that made sense back in the days, it made the food compact, better to heat up and its a good way to transport loose meat

DasHexxchen t1_jeallh3 wrote

This,

The sausage as we know it is about 2000 years old, but it seems even the Sumerians used this preserving method. The first written mention is in Homer's Odysee and it was a common theatre food, called "Orya". And briefly sausages were even banned in Europe by the church.

It was hard to store smaller scraps of meat or more liquid parts like blood, so the just shoved them into a container that came with the animal, the intestines. Just made sense.

Though you guys would appreciate a short essay, instead of googeling around yourselves.

ShardAerliss t1_jec32qs wrote

Listened to an interview waaaay back with an anthropologist who theorised that sausage was the first "dish", as in a meal with multiple steps, not just "cut it up, throw it at heat".

As you said; t's a way to cook/transport all the little bits of meat that are stuck to bone and small organs, and could have been utilised long before the invention of utensils and bags.

TaliesinMerlin t1_jebpl7v wrote

It also uses up more of the animal, specifically the intestines and some of the loose bits of meat. It's sort of like figuring out how to make stock out of bone and cartilage. The less of an animal you waste, the better.

eternalankh t1_jeb83we wrote

Anything can sound crazy if you break it down into steps and describe those steps in the worst way possible.

At some point, people decided to grind up seeds, mix it with water, let it set for several days until fungus started to grow in it, then add more ground up seeds and water, add some sugar, let it set for a while again, mix it some more and then bake it for people to eat.

1ndomitablespirit t1_jeayohd wrote

I still can’t fathom the steps someone had to take to discover yogurt.

Kerfudamapa t1_jeaipr8 wrote

The Scots are geniuses of making ridiculous stuff seem awesome

fleranon t1_jeccptn wrote

Lots and lots of cultures came up with that, relatively independently. I just recently read the wiki entry on Sausages and this cool phrase stuck with me: "Sausage making is a natural outcome of efficient butchery"

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_jeaia02 wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

HumpieDouglas t1_jebjg3m wrote

This can apply to most foods. Hey guys look at this giant bug with claws we found while fishing. Quick boil it alive and dip it in melted butter. DE-LISH!

WinterMedical t1_jebkbzi wrote

They didn’t have tv. That had a lot of time to fool around with stuff.

Mister_E_Mahn t1_jec6eez wrote

We should really award a posthumous Nobel prize to that person.

pewpewpewouch t1_jecg24x wrote

At some point, someone took the flowers of a very unremarkable plant, dried them, then put them on fire, and then proceeded to do something that's totally against every fiber of human nature: INHALED THE SMOKE.

AblokeonRedditt t1_jeb9o7s wrote

Thank you man who tried that weird shit... its still the same but with more pig face and no intestine (possibly). And I for one will take as many sausages in the mouth as I can take!

−1