Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Hankman66 t1_iuckrbo wrote

Am I the only one who hates that "living rent free in someone's mind"? If I suddenly think of someone I haven't seen or thought of in 20 years does that mean they've been living in my mind "rent-free"?

FaagenDazs t1_iud89aa wrote

Yeah this phrase is getting so popular right now, and it really isn't being used very well

Papergrin t1_iue8y8z wrote

I hate it because people seem to think it's a smug retort for whenever you say something remotely negative about something they like, rendering it meaningless.

"I don't care for Applebee's."

"WELL, I GUESS APPLEBEE'S IS LIVING IN YOUR HEAD RENT-FREE, DO YOU HAVE APPLEBEE'S DERANGEMENT SYNDROME HAHAHAHA?!?!" 🥴

Having a negative opinion about something isn't the same as obsessing over it. It's the same sort of people who make those cry-laughing emojis when they're losing an argument. "You're so wrong!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂"

RagingZorse t1_iuf10bi wrote

For me the concept applies to someone you just hate but unfortunately probably doesn’t even remember you exist.

For example I had a shit boss at my last job and I’m coming up on a year since I left. I can’t forget that guy. He probably forgot I even existed a couple days after I quit. I don’t forget though how much of a dick he was once you saw his true colors and I know the other 2 guys who both quit before me don’t either. Those guys tried warning me to find a job before I inevitably did something to set the guy off. Unfortunately I got to see it first hand and it was just baffling he had remained in business.