Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

skolnaja t1_iy41zia wrote

Very easily? I had cats my whole life and been bitten and scratched millions of times and never got infected.

casualsubversive t1_iy5gbth wrote

Actually, you need to be very careful with this. Cat scratch fever is a real phenomenon. Their claws have been in their litter box.

And any animal bite (including human) that isn't super shallow should be treated be medical professionals. You can get a very serious infection shockingly quickly from a deep puncture wound. It's like a dental abscess; it's one of those things you should not fuck around with.

Iamfabulous1735285 t1_iy6nhio wrote

You also better check if they have rabies, it they have rabies. Rabies is a incredibly dangerous illness

DavidANaida t1_iy42wdy wrote

Depends on the depth of the bite, apparently.

I'm just relaying what I was told by the doctors--fully admit I have no formal expertise on the subject. Just 3 (our fourth recently passed) furbabies of my own.

woqrotmg t1_iy5lq60 wrote

Ive driven and been in cars my whole life, never been in an accident. Can't be dangerous!

Edit:

It's not like my point is that cats are as dangerous as cars. Just that the argument that one person anecdotally hasn't had a problem isn't proof of anything.

I've treated infected cat wounds in my line of work, though not common and rarely very serious they are also not nonexistent. They're more likely to happen to kids and most scratches etc are not dangerous, but in case of kids their more vulnerable areas are closer to cats paws and kids are more likely to disrespect the cat's personal space and as such more likely to be injured.