Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SpacemanSpiff312 t1_iy2vcs1 wrote

One of them looks cute and doesnt look like any animal of its size that could kill me in a single bite. The other has 8 legs, 8 eyes and looks pretty similar to other species of spider that can fucking kill us.

I'd much rather cuddle the cat

cally1789 t1_iy3csyz wrote

Plus, cats are capable of displaying affection and bonding with us, a spider doesn't work like that.

The_Expidition t1_iy4dtdz wrote

Only the jumping ones

Th3Glutt0n t1_iy4ilg0 wrote

The jumping ones are great friends

Reasonable_Charge531 t1_iy4wxjz wrote

We should do a rebranding campaign. Rebrand "jumping spiders" as "hugging spiders."

EpicSaberCat7771 t1_iy57ceq wrote

I support this. I can't get my mom on board with them for some reason. no matter how adorable they are. only friend shaped spider imo.

agoldilockszone t1_iy6htok wrote

I had a jumping spider end up inside in a small container that had seeds in it moments prior, I popped the lid on so I could finish planting before releasing him outside (yes I was gardening inside - it was brisk outdoors ok) and watching him in there was so interesting.

I got my camera out and took some videos and pictures of him and after assessing his situation in the container and realising he was trapped for the time being, he started taking in the greater surroundings and looking at me and the camera, it was wild. Jumping spiders are so cool! Such inquisitive little guys.

ZombieGroan t1_iy6btkn wrote

Let’s add all the eyes of the babies on its back. Much rather have a mama cat then a mama spider.

LAUSart t1_iy3cdeu wrote

It isnt just physical appearance. Cats are more intelligent and we can form a social bond.

Sines314 t1_iy4c0wa wrote

This is a big part of it. Cats ARE cuter, and while both function as pest control, I’ve never heard of a spider having an emotional connection with anything.

Clint-witicay t1_iy3r61s wrote

To be fair, I’m not going to mistake a cat for a brown recluse, also I’ve never been scratched or bit by a cat and had it hurt more than a second.

Kevjamwal t1_iy3w1i5 wrote

You’re lucky. I’ve needed stitches from cat injuries and they weren’t even trying to hurt me. Just happened to be on my lap when someone rang the doorbell.

tf2F2Pnoob t1_iy5b77p wrote

bro same, sometimes I'm giving my cat belly rubs and it suddenly wants me dead for no reason

Polybutadiene t1_iy5evi2 wrote

i love cats but also theres rabies and infections if you get clawed by poopy claws.

i still love my cat but if she scratches or bites it always draws blood. high stakes cuddles

lynypixie t1_iy5h8ff wrote

I love cat and I am owned by two of them, but as a healthcare worker, I have seen patients loose a hand because of infection caused by a cat attack.

KamiComi t1_iy5v30y wrote

They must've been filthy humans. I don't understand how anyone can let an infection get to that point.

drsillyus t1_iy2tm5b wrote

Not to humans.

If you look at total cat attacks, that doesn't even tell an accurate picture, as people spend millions of times more hours in close quarters and handling cats with no danger.

Relate the time spent hanging spiders, to the amount of deaths.

Also, spiders in general, kill a lot of people every day.

mobrocket t1_iy4wobx wrote

1. Most people are in close quarters to a spider every day and don't even know it.

2. Death by spider bite is EXTREMELY rare... It's like 1 in 50 million odds in the USA.

3. Cows kill more people than spiders

casualsubversive t1_iy5fao7 wrote

>Most people are in close quarters to a spider every day and don't even know it.

And yet, I have never picked one up off the ground and cuddled it on my lap, or allowed one to sleep on top of me. The time a spider walked across me in bed, I found myself standing next to my bed with the lights on faster than I would have thought I could move.

mobrocket t1_iy5iare wrote

I have never had a spider piss on my floor and make my house smell.

I rather have 12 spiders in my house than 12 cats, any day

happy-cig t1_iy6qdhi wrote

What about 12 lbs of spiders vs 12 lbs of cat?

mobrocket t1_iy6snox wrote

The spiders eventually will be gone, cat piss smell lasts forever

Kevjamwal t1_iy3v4ks wrote

Spiders kill a lot of people every day? Would love to see a source on that.

KamiComi t1_iy5vkpv wrote

Good thing you're on the internet and all that info is just a couple of button presses away.

−2

Kevjamwal t1_iy6hza5 wrote

Yeah. I did. He was wrong.

KamiComi t1_iy6mhy7 wrote

Probably depends on your definition of 'a lot' so I don't think you can say he was wrong but go ahead anyway, kiddo

−3

Kevjamwal t1_iy759pf wrote

7 a year in the US. Is .019 deaths per day “a lot” by any definition?

Read a fucking book, “kiddo”

KamiComi t1_iy7d7wh wrote

Could be, depends what you're comparing it to. Maybe think about what you're writing before you hit 'enter', KIDDO. "By any definition", yes 7 can be a lot. It's a lot compared to 1. It's a lot compared to 0.000000000000001. Take your own advice, brainlet.

Kevjamwal t1_iy89ork wrote

Thanks, I know how numbers work. It’s seven a YEAR. Again, learn to read.

Commenter said spiders kill “a lot of people every day,” specifically when compared to cats. Yearly there are around 66,000 hospital emergency visits from cats, and in 2009 there were 300 cases of rabies from cat bites. Rabies being fatal, that means spiders kill only 2% of what cats cause.

So no, it’s not a fucking lot.

KamiComi t1_iy98utk wrote

You know how numbers work but not words? "By any definition" (those 2 little marks on either side of those words indicates a QUOTE i.e. verbatim what you said) means that 7 can be a lot.Also rabies doesn't exist here so that would likely bring the total from 7 per year down to zero. You could say "by any definition" that is not a lot and you'd actually be right for once in this thread lol

Kevjamwal t1_iy9cmvw wrote

Oh my fucking god you dumb illiterate fuck. 7. Per. Year. Commenter said “a lot per day.” Get it right. It’s not that hard.

And no, “by any definition” doesn’t mean a word ceases to have objective meaning, or that it just means whatever you want it to mean. It’s a common expression meaning “by any valid interpretation of the word.” Deaths by spider per day being less than .02, that is not a valid interpretation of “a lot.” A synonym for “lot” is “batch.” Imagine you had some crumbs from a cookie, roughly totaling 2% the weight of a full cookie. Would you look at those crumbs and say, “oh look a batch of cookies!” Maybe you would, being a fucking crazy person.

Also you living somewhere without rabies has no bearing on worldwide deaths by cat, which is what we were talking about.

Run_MCID37 OP t1_iy2tsem wrote

There are no recorded deaths by wolf spider. They do not possess any venom that can harm a human. I'm simply referring to ability to induce pain.

−14

drsillyus t1_iy2u0gd wrote

Wolf spiders look very similar to many species of deadly spiders.

Your reasoning is invalid.

KingfisherArt t1_iy3w909 wrote

Doesn't that validate OPs "humans value appearance"?

drsillyus t1_iy3wr3a wrote

It's not an aesthetic issue, is a safety issue.

We don't hate spiders because they're ugly, it's because they can kill you

mobrocket t1_iy4wzxf wrote

Let's use that very flaw logic

Dogs kill more people than spiders... Do you kill them? How about cows, you kill them on sight? And the #1 killer animal by a gigantic mile are humans... You do that too?

See how flawed your logic is? We kill roaches and flies too, but they aren't deadly.. explain that?

drsillyus t1_iy4yol9 wrote

Roaches spread deadly disease.

If you don't live on a farm you have zero chance to be killed by a cow.

Consider evolution and how that fear kept us alive. That's why. It has nothing to do with being ugly. Everything to do with survival over millions of years

mobrocket t1_iy5itoz wrote

Roaches aren't that big of spreaders of deadly diseases, humans spread diseases much more effectively... You ignored that part...

Additionally, evolution isn't why we kill spiders... Where you getting that from???

There are multiple cultures around the world that don't fear them and kill on sight.

It's cultural not evolutionary... Early humans most likely consumed them...

drsillyus t1_iy5jdq4 wrote

Early humans didn't die to spiders, because they avoided them. Same with snakes and other dangers.

Its also the same reason we sneeze when we see the sun, moving from dusty musty, rotting caves, to clean outside air. Those who didn't clear their lungs, died of respiratory infection.

Culture changed instincts in some places, many it remains.

It makes no evolutionary sense to fear other humans. That's why.

Culture has existed for a thousand years or so, evolution has been doing its thing for millions of years.

Your wrong about it being cultural

mobrocket t1_iy5k43y wrote

You act like spiders kill tons of humans.... They don't... And never have

There are more people on Earth now than ever... Yet still hardly anyone dies of spiders....

You for some reason associate them with snakes... No clue why..

And now added in involuntary responses....

And it makes TONS of evolution sense to fear other humans you don't know....

You are a MASSIVELY greater chance of getting killed by a stranger than spider.

It seems like you just have this irrational fear of them and you are doing your best to justify it..... Just education yourself about them.....

drsillyus t1_iy5kwx7 wrote

I don't fear spiders. I think they're cute.

I am aware of what evolution does and doesn't do.

Innate fear of snakes and other deadly animals is documented across the globe in many species. It is simply another example.

Only since we began growing in population and forming cities, was there a danger from other humans.

This being only a thousand years in effect, next to millions of years of non city living, where other humans were the only thing you could be sure was not going to kill and eat you. It makes no sense to fear humans since there has not been enough time for evolution to take effect.

Humans didn't spread disease more than insects until we developed global travel.

Evolution happens over hundreds of thousands of years at a minium.

Do you get it? City life and the dangerous nature of humans has only been present for mere thousands of years.

Not enough time for evolution.

Lack of medicine and knowledge, meant that a spider bite, even a non venomous one, would likely spell death by infection to any early human

mobrocket t1_iy5lxdt wrote

What... No...

Human tribes would kill each other long before the first city... Where are you getting your information???

And humans have been spreading diseases to each other since humans existed. The fucking common cold doesn't need a insect vector to spread... not to mention diseases spread genetically.

And an overwhelming number of spider bites need zero medical treatment. There are 45000 species of spiders and only about 30.or so are harmful to people...

drsillyus t1_iy5mj0i wrote

You forget about medicine. Before sanitation, a splinter was death. Any open wound would basically kill you. That includes spider bites.

You seem to not really understand how evolution works.

Sure humans killed each other, but they also helped and bred with them, furthering the species and reenforcing that, those who don't run from the cave men, have children.

However, those who did not avoid biting insects, would simply die and not breed.

Over millions of years this creates an effect.

Learn more about evolution. It doesn't do what you think it does.

mobrocket t1_iy5n2b3 wrote

I give up... If you think a splinter means death... That's such a rare case even without medicine it's ridiculous to even pose that. Because by your logic every human would have died.

drsillyus t1_iy5nn5g wrote

You may want to look into that. There have been many deaths by splinters, even in modern times.

You forget that humans used to have 15 kids and only 1-2 would make it to adulthood. Oh so many died

PeeledCrepes t1_iy65rz5 wrote

Humans avoiding animals that kill them is not innate, you never seen a little kid get near deadly snakes? It's something that's taught by the parent because the parent knows.

Humans have always been problematic to other humans that's prolly the silliest thing you've said. Humans are rather territorial specially in the days when every scrap mattered, killings used to be a lot more common.

To the last part yes and no. A spider bite could get infected and kill someone back then yes. Just like an infected tooth and look how that's gone. Evolution doesn't work like that. Evolution doesn't cause people to be scared of spiders. Your mom screaming spider while burning the house down causes fear of spiders. That shits learned behavior not evolution

drsillyus t1_iy67zxl wrote

You're cherry picking examples. Evolution isn't alway perfect, traits aren't passed on to everyone.

Every animal on the planet has been proven to have fear instincts for survival.

Cats who have literally never seen a snake, still fear snake like objects.

Infants instinctively know how to hold their breath and swim

Extreme phobias are learned. For sure, but that in no way negates the fact that, there are instinctual fears that have been passed on

In the past, humans were more likely to die from environmental factors, than other humans. 99% of ancient man's death, was via predator or disease.

Just look at common apes for the exact examples.

They war over territory and kill each other sure, but they die 99% from predators, insects or disease.

You really don't see how that is the main factor, not the random tribes.

Shit, for a lot of our evolution we were literally rodents. That stuff hasn't gone away.

Learn more about evolution please.

Those who avoided death, bred. That is all

Stop citing examples that are too recent for evolution.

PeeledCrepes t1_iy6d2ao wrote

Fear is an instictual behavior, fear of the unknown is evolution, fear of specifics is not.

drsillyus t1_iy6ifkq wrote

That's an opinion, not backed up by the evidence.

Evolution also selected for the following, in relation to spiders and other crawling insects.

Killing them, hiding behind those who kill them, staying in a group that deters insects, people who make fires, people who avoided all bugs and more.

Just becasue some people have no Innate fear of insects, does not mean that evolution has not selected for revulsion towards insects.

The fact that so much knowledge is available about how harmless most insects are medical treatment exists for nearly all bites, yet arachnaphobia does not go away, kind of shows you how persistent the fear is in some humans.

Just because you don't think it makes sense, doesn't mean evolution hasn't selected for it.

Many pointless things get passed on. Fear of the specific is a real evolution.

Why else would a cat, who has seen snake like toys, still recoil in fear over a fake snake behind them?

Because snakes fed on cats a lot.

Just like minor insect injuries killed countless millions of humans over the millenia

PeeledCrepes t1_iy6stkt wrote

Humans aren't social and use fire to repel insects... nor does being social or in a group stop an insect? Arachnaphobia doesn't go away cause people don't want bit? People are scared of bees where unless your allergic it does nothing, people are scared of ants for the same reason. Cats are scared of snakes because snakes are silent. Snakes feed on cats when possible considering a ton of snakes couldn't eat a full grown cat. I get what your saying it's just in practice, my kid isn't scared of spiders. I am almost not scared of spiders, is that because evolution? No I learned how to deal with spiders and stopped being scared (ironically same with bees, just don't bother them and they don't bother you)

drsillyus t1_iy6tlz8 wrote

You keep thinking evolituon is logical and follows exact death tolls

It doesn't. Learn more come back ffs. You're pretty much a kid or severely learning disabled to be this far off the point and this unable to grasp evolution

timn1717 t1_iy4l8gu wrote

Not many people are super interested in determining the species of the 8 legged horror crawling around, it’s enough to know that it could hurt you. I kinda feel like it’s a hardwired fear, and for good reason.

[deleted] t1_iy2uzhk wrote

[deleted]

−4

drsillyus t1_iy2v3pl wrote

No, it would be like saying all cats of a certain size, not all mammals.

I didn't say all arachnids, I pointed out how a wolf spider looks like a hobo spider and is roughly the same size as a brown recluse. Both are deadly. All inhabit the same area

There is a reason that has zero to do with aesthetics

AproblemInMyHead t1_iy2xdgi wrote

Generalizing is literally ok in this context

I know to stay away from big cats vs small. I know the difference.

But just because i know some spiders are deadly... I'm gonna generalize the fk out of them. All of them. I don't give shit if it's a daddy long leg. Touch me and die

MyMudEye t1_iy36w8j wrote

And yet you are more likely to die from a disease your cat gives you.

People are funny.

MyMudEye t1_iy36r17 wrote

And cats do kill humans. They spread a number of diseases that can be and are fatal.

And they absolutely devastate any natural environment they are let loose in.

Google away cat lovers.

It's funny how many down votes someone will get if they are in any way negative about cats. It's almost as bad as being factual on r/conservative.

−7

TheNightOwl13 t1_iy3gvgt wrote

Every fucking animal under the sun can kill humans with diseases. Dafuq you on about. You must REALLY hate cats, smoke some weed and hang out with one, they're not so bad little guy.

MyMudEye t1_iy3xv0w wrote

Diseases associated with cats:

Cat scratch disease.

Roundworms.

Toxoplasmosis. This one's really awesome, sorry, I meant awful. My brother in law got it in his early thirties and now requires a full time carer, and will for the rest of his (shortened) life.

Rabies.

Campylobacteriosis.

Salmonellosis.

Cryptosporidiosis.

Giardiasis.

I much prefer native animals in their natural habitats.

The animals breed solely for a humans emotional support always seemed a bit off to me.

Love the ones we've bred to eat though. Wish cats tasted better....

Down votes make me stronger.

−5

TheNightOwl13 t1_iy4bdor wrote

Karma doesn't mean shit dude. Get over yourself lol.

MyMudEye t1_iy6p65e wrote

Whose karma are you lol about?

My cat loving ex brother-in-law who is permanently disabled by a disease he got from his cat?

I never liked him, but I never wished this on him.

And I think the definition of karma is it does mean shit.

So you should probably look forward to the karmic repercussions to your post.

Let me know how that works out for you.

TheNightOwl13 t1_iy7fkai wrote

Reddit karma you dumb cunt. Lmao your life revolves around fake internet points dude. Get an actual life why dontcha lol.

MyMudEye t1_iy7jyx1 wrote

Karmas a bitch, and you sound like one too. Meow.

I can imagine your cat eating your face when you die alone. Lol, lol lol.

And who the fuck looks at reddit karma? Maybe you don't have a cat and you're the pussy. Lol, lol, lol.

How old are you? 12? Does your mummy know you're on the interweb being an arsewipe?

Anyway, have the day you deserve.

Dickhead.

TheNightOwl13 t1_iy7l4bj wrote

You look at reddit karma dude wtf? You're the one saying "downvotes make me stronger". You definently are a mentally deranged piece of shit. Go smoke some weed to chill out your cat hating brain. Cats deserve to live more than you'll ever benefit the human race Bye bye cunty mic cunterson. lmao

You'll die alone and no one will love you. Thats how sad your little emo life is. Thats why you hate cats, since no human will ever love you, not even a mothers love gets to you, you tried to get a cat amd then it showed you that it doesn't care about you either. THATS HOW MUCH OF A CUNT DICK YOU ARE MATE. get over yourself. Maybe smoke some crack so you can finally pass and give us the pleasure of never hearing or seeing your useless cunty face again.

Nervous_Worker_5722 t1_iy7lhd2 wrote

Here's an award my cat lovin friend. What a fucking cunt that guy is huh. Gotta love the projection this asshat was spewing. Just block the cat hater and move on dude.

fastpixels t1_iy392av wrote

We value appearances not just for superficial reasons. Seeing animals we think are cute releases those nice chemicals into our brains. More so if they acknowledge us.

BotaniAlt t1_iy37plr wrote

Hmm you know you're right. Let me abandon this cat that comes from an extremely long line of domestication and friendliness to humans to instead own a spider, a family with a long history of lethality to humans and depicted as a universal symbol for fear because that's apparently what's valuable to you.

Also where tf are you getting that cats are dangerous to humans? The same place where you found out the Earth is flat?

Kevjamwal t1_iy3vvff wrote

Wolf spider attacks human - “ow I think something bit me… anyways”

Average cat attacks a human, it’s gonna be a lot worse. OP in no way suggested abandoning your pets…

−7

Reasonable_Charge531 t1_iy4wt0p wrote

When I see a cat, I know for a fact that it's non-venomous.

When I see a spider, I have no fucking clue what this alien-ass nightmare creature is capable of, and zero desire to find out.

balrus-balrogwalrus t1_iy4pozq wrote

people churn out lots of money to save charismatic endangered animals like pandas or tigers or rhinos or sharks

while the chinese paddlefish just sort of went extinct under the radar since it was just a "boring old fish" and few people cared to protect it

KamiComi t1_iy5vepc wrote

Having only just learned of this fish's existence after reading this post, I still don't care.

splitlikeasea t1_iy2y01w wrote

Would like to see a wolf spider curl on my lap, purr a lot and lick me to show affection. Humans generally love animals that respond to your affection with affection. Even better if they are considered a normal pet by your culture ( not a pest or food) Being cute also is important. As aesthetic is an integral part of every human. But that itself is subjective with general trends among humans.

skolnaja t1_iy3ds4s wrote

How are cats far more dangerous than wolf spiders? What kinda cats u have tf

Ryimax t1_iy3tpwr wrote

How are wolf spiders dangerous?

skolnaja t1_iy42756 wrote

They take ur house from u, kick u out without notice.

DavidANaida t1_iy3uskq wrote

Cat mouths are extremely dirty, and have lots of bacteria that's harmful to humans. A cat bite can very easily get infected and cause huge complications. My partner once got bit on the hand in her sleep by one of ours, and the doctors in the ER told her she might've lost part of the hand if she'd come in a day later.

skolnaja t1_iy41zia wrote

Very easily? I had cats my whole life and been bitten and scratched millions of times and never got infected.

casualsubversive t1_iy5gbth wrote

Actually, you need to be very careful with this. Cat scratch fever is a real phenomenon. Their claws have been in their litter box.

And any animal bite (including human) that isn't super shallow should be treated be medical professionals. You can get a very serious infection shockingly quickly from a deep puncture wound. It's like a dental abscess; it's one of those things you should not fuck around with.

Iamfabulous1735285 t1_iy6nhio wrote

You also better check if they have rabies, it they have rabies. Rabies is a incredibly dangerous illness

DavidANaida t1_iy42wdy wrote

Depends on the depth of the bite, apparently.

I'm just relaying what I was told by the doctors--fully admit I have no formal expertise on the subject. Just 3 (our fourth recently passed) furbabies of my own.

woqrotmg t1_iy5lq60 wrote

Ive driven and been in cars my whole life, never been in an accident. Can't be dangerous!

Edit:

It's not like my point is that cats are as dangerous as cars. Just that the argument that one person anecdotally hasn't had a problem isn't proof of anything.

I've treated infected cat wounds in my line of work, though not common and rarely very serious they are also not nonexistent. They're more likely to happen to kids and most scratches etc are not dangerous, but in case of kids their more vulnerable areas are closer to cats paws and kids are more likely to disrespect the cat's personal space and as such more likely to be injured.

Reasonable_Charge531 t1_iy4ypw3 wrote

Cat bit her hand while she was sleeping? Your partner had a real dick of a cat.

DavidANaida t1_iy5fypb wrote

I know, right? We suspect she may have rolled into the little rascal in her sleep, but we'll never know for sure.

MondayMarmalade t1_iy3twxx wrote

Cats are also more intelligent and thus less likely to attack if they are with someone they trust and if that person is respecting their boundaries

MantraMan97 t1_iy4c81u wrote

A quote from Sir Terry Pratchett: "If cats looked like frogs we'd realise what nasty, despicable, horrible little buggers they were."

Acceptable_Lime1221 t1_iy4g8u9 wrote

What kind of cats was he interacting with?

casualsubversive t1_iy5ernd wrote

His own. It didn't take much effort to find multiple pictures of him posing with a grey tuxedo cat. And also a pig.

MantraMan97 t1_iy4jtdq wrote

The kind that feel nice and look pretty and make pleasing noises, but at the end of the day would only do something if it benefited them. The kind that like to inflict as much cruelty as they can before finally killing their prey.

EpicSaberCat7771 t1_iy57rb7 wrote

people only hate cats because they don't blindly love everyone and they need personal space. I bet you wouldn't like it if giants constantly tried to pick you up or wouldn't stop touching you even when you had had enough. I don't blame cats for their behavior. it's part of their charm.

MantraMan97 t1_iy60yfx wrote

It's not hatred. It's a statement of fact. I love cats and would never wish harm on one, but I also acknowledge that the only reason it isn't trying to bat me around for a few hours before it might eat my half dead mangle is that it's jaw is too narrow for my neck. Plus, domestic house cats are responsible for the extinction of no less than 2 species of Lizard, 21 mammals, and 40 birds. You can't really call them benevolent creatures. They might show affection and again, make a pleasing noise every now and then, but that glamour makes people forget the above mentioned facts. Because people at heart want to love and see the best in everything, and don't like to remember bad things. Even sometimes the would be predators.

To further my previous quote, "Style. That's all anyone remembers."

Acceptable_Lime1221 t1_iy55pji wrote

On the one hand, I'd argue that every living thing acts in it's own benefit in the end (directly or otherwise) and that cats don't have the intellectual capacity to concieve of cruelty or know better.

But in the end, the why doesn't change the end result, so touché: well played.

MantraMan97 t1_iy5z7nv wrote

It's more used as a frame of reference to give an example of the average Elf mindset in 'Lords and Ladies'. How they operate around life, and how they see and entrance others, and how what they offer, a brief memory, a pleasing visage, or even actual power over others through their Glamour. In the end there is no real value come sunrise, and all you're left with is the smell of the wilderness, and lost lives.

Even then it doesn't quite do them justice. Discworld Elves are so proud and full of themselves, the idea that other life is capable of feeling the same emotions as them is laughable to them. "They would break the world if they thought it would make a pretty sound."

Acceptable_Lime1221 t1_iy5zh1a wrote

I really need to read his books at some point.

MantraMan97 t1_iy61lix wrote

I highly recommend it. It's part of the Witches series of Discworld books. I'm hard pressed to find one I don't like, but that is certainly one of my favourites. Although it's full of a lot more humour and wit than I make it seem, it's also not without it's more serious moments. To quote a full description of Elves:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder. Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels. Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies. Elves are glamorous. They project glamour. Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment. Elves are terrific. They beget terror. The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning. No one ever said elves are nice. Elves are bad.

_Blackstar t1_iy56wdi wrote

Some cats are dicks, but not all of them. I've had my current feline since she was 8 weeks old and had the luxury of being there the day she was born and several days leading up to when I could take her home. She's been a total sweetheart. Very big on cuddling and laying in laps, doesn't try to steal food or beg for it obnoxiously, doesn't knock stuff off tables for fun, doesn't bite or scratch or hiss unless you're a dog or you're playing too rough with her. Her only real offense is she'll sometimes get late night zoomies and clomp around the house loudly while making "bbrrrrrrr" noises.

casualsubversive t1_iy5guir wrote

You are literally instinctively afraid of snakes and spiders. Separately, you are literally instinctively drawn to the infantile qualities of a domestic housecat's face and vocalizations.

So, no, it doesn't.

GimmeFalcor t1_iy5w2au wrote

If you kill wolf spiders you suck. They don’t make webs. They just hunt bugs. And they’re furry. (Much like cats…) Some people do suck.

ResettisReplicas t1_iy4e1u7 wrote

Cats are more predictable than wolf spiders, and are more open to an unspoken contract of petting.

lol1231yahoocom t1_iy37m4p wrote

If wolf spiders were domesticated we would love them more but they do not become pets and we do not cuddle with them.

zoiealb t1_iy4k23f wrote

um... house cats. not like lions. regular house cats are not more dangerous than wolf spiders

ThisIsTheBookAcct t1_iy4oomd wrote

It’s not based on appearance. It’s 100% based on petability. Cats are soft. Even furry spiders aren’t soft and I don’t think they like pets.

crab_theory t1_iy5c481 wrote

It just speaks to the fact there is nothing very deadly the same shape and size as a cat

KamiComi t1_iy5uuov wrote

No it doesn't. It just shows that we interact with cats a whole lot more.

standardtrickyness1 t1_iy5zt1v wrote

I assume you're talking about wild cats? I'm not sure how dangerous domestic cats are.

Elifereta t1_iy63w50 wrote

Humans are the most dangerous, and we chill around them so… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Iamfabulous1735285 t1_iy6npko wrote

Mosquitos are deadlier, every year, more deaths are caused by mosquitos by malaria and other diseases

UbiVoiD t1_iy6npie wrote

I'm pretty sure every single household pet is more dangerous than a wolf spider. Unless you have a pet rock I guess...

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_iy2rzt8 wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

Denaton_ t1_iy355a5 wrote

Never tried to train a spider, but I do have trained my cats and dog..

Natedoggsk8 t1_iy4lmag wrote

It’s probably the instincts that make us afraid of spider and not having ever being hit by one

Mdork_universe t1_iy56a66 wrote

We’re just prejudiced against arthropods and favor mammals. Or is it we’d rather eat them? Eating a spider, or eating a pussy…hmm…

LittleFairyOfDeath t1_iy5avfz wrote

You can’t cuddle a wolf spider. Also cats only have four legs which is infinitely less creepy.

DongLongus t1_iy5d4is wrote

I fear cats but if there’s one wolf spider in your house there’s probably 3 more hiding waiting for an insect to hunt

Carcinogenicsweetner t1_iy5gr9z wrote

If we handled Wolf spiders like we handle cats, there would be a lot more issues.

jang859 t1_iy5o43g wrote

They're more closely related to us. Maybe it's natural for an animal like us to value animals that have closer features and behaviors to us.

series_hybrid t1_iy5r1ch wrote

Butterflies should be considered as disgusting as flies, but they don't land on our food or buzz around our mouths. Same with rats and squirrels. Squirrels are "cute", but they are just a tree rat with a bushy tail and good PR.

AimForYaBoat t1_iy63m30 wrote

Rats are cute though, I had two that were the most lovely little things. In squirrels' defence though, they weren't almost the whole reason for the spread of many a plague.

series_hybrid t1_iy6mui8 wrote

A lot of animals become adorable after they are raised from childhood with love and food. It seems the smarter they are, the more they appreciate kindness...

Sliding_Tiles t1_iy6f28c wrote

pretty sure a wolf spider the size of a cat would be 100x more dangerous than a cat

NottACalebFan t1_iy6hrom wrote

Even in prehistoric times, when all of this domestication was going on, the average spider only ever reached the size of a housecat.

While cats on average reached the size of persons.

NottACalebFan t1_iy6h579 wrote

I feel like it's more that cats as predators can kill many household pests without a lot of backup and also clean up after themselves, while spiders generally have more specific diets with more specialized hunting methods, and instead of cleaning up after themselves, they leave the crushed and drained bodies of their kills wherever they finish their meals.

Also, prehistoric man probably compared the animals in a face-off and said "if I could have one animal as my friend, I'll take the gigantic furry killing machine that takes care of its young instead of the one that I have to chase out of my shoes every morning"

MrRogersAE t1_iy6iaqq wrote

Now hear me out: maybe it’s just the size difference

If cats were the size of wolf spiders and wolf spiders were the size of cats it’s not entirely unreasonable that humans would have instead domesticated wolf spiders, again hear me out.

Humans domesticated cats to keep rodents, insects and other pests under control, with them being the right size to hunt things soo small they are hard for humans to hunt, but not soo big that they can’t pursue the smaller pests. If wolf spiders were this size they would excel at this task, likely even moreso than cats. With generations of humans growing up around these cat sized spiders we would form a bond with them, the same way we did with cats, perhaps people would happily cuddle with their little wolfies, while being creeped out by the tiny cats

VenustheSeaGoddess t1_iy6qy0p wrote

When was the last time a spider helped take field mice out of someone's house?

My cat even catches flies...

piles_of_anger t1_iy3ics2 wrote

It's true, cats get away with all kinds of horse shit because of how cute they are (speaking from experience here), but too large of a spider gets in my house - like a wolf spider - and it's all out war.

−1