Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

shiva8512 OP t1_j2be3lv wrote

I devised a theorem, It occurred to me while I was watching a YouTube video on Shakespeare's relatively lesser known comedy "Twelfth night"

"Any form of love triangle is impossible without some homosexuality" If it doesn't have any one attracted to the same gender at a it's not a love triangle. It's a love bent line

choma90 t1_j2bqevr wrote

A love angle

SadLaser t1_j2ead9v wrote

No, because you've deliberately misinterpreted what a love triangle is. Love triangle is a made up term. It means whatever the creator of the term and now society has accepted it to mean and that specific meaning is a situation when two rivals vie for the affection of a third person. If two men are interested in the same woman or two women interested in the same man, there is no homosexuality. The two rivals aren't interested in each other. That isn't what a love triangle is. Maybe you think it would make more sense that way, but that's not how language works.

nmshm t1_j2dg3js wrote

That’s a corollary of the pigeonhole principle

spazzyone t1_j2cpqyn wrote

Furthermore, any odd-sided love polygon would require some homosexuality. An even-sided polygon could have no homosexuality, or some even number of homosexual pairs.

Of course, you could have male-male-male-female, which is even with an odd number of males and females, but there are two linked male pairs and two linked straight pairs, so this does not violate the above statements.

shiva8512 OP t1_j2d5sbg wrote

Do you want to study graph theory together ?

PriorSecurity9784 t1_j2doan2 wrote

Hey bro, no homo, but want to have a love square this weekend?

stealthcactus t1_j2dswm1 wrote

How many love squares do we need to build a Love Shack?

Darkality24 t1_j2eo1oo wrote

That song is about a fairy trap.

Think about it, the whole song is about how people there never stop dancing, they claim everything is "glittery" and people are desperate to return to it once they leave.

acarpenter08096 t1_j2btdbn wrote

A love triangle is when two people are competing for the affection of one person. Are you thinking of polyamory or menage a trios?

LolCremers10 t1_j2cfcbz wrote

I think they mean A loves B, but B loves C, but C loves A, while A doesn't love C, C doesn't love B and B doesn't love A.

SolusCaeles t1_j2bhzwl wrote

What if one of the guys is secretly a crossdresser and the other has a crush on that secret identity unknowingly?

shiva8512 OP t1_j2d57vz wrote

That's the entire plot of twelfth night

GaryinZion t1_j2co9pl wrote

It's late enough that I don't want to check, but the movie She's the Man may include a similar triangle

BuketManTheTraitor t1_j2cgske wrote

Or even better, a ‘love square with an x in it’. Everyone loves each other. Everyone is gay at some point.

PistachioedVillain t1_j2dknu5 wrote

It's an isosceles triangle. One side is friendship length, two sides are romance length.

SadLaser t1_j2e9zuj wrote

No, because you're misinterpreted what a love triangle is. Love triangle is a made up term and has a specific meaning that has two rivals vying for the affection of a third person. If two men are interested in the same woman or two women interested in the same man, there is no homosexuality. The two rivals aren't interested in each other. That isn't what a love triangle is.

moldycatt t1_j2e1qz9 wrote

what if one of the people was nonbinary? non-binary person loves female, female loves male, male loves nonbinary person

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_j2bds26 wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

PckMan t1_j2edueh wrote

Love triangles aren't necessarily "circular" as in each person likes another but no pairs of mutual feelings form. It could be one person liked by two people or one person unsure how to decide from two people.

eternalankh t1_j2c501c wrote

I mean, I see your point, but it's not a showerthought. You're trying to change the definition of a clearly established trope.

GaryinZion t1_j2co7hj wrote

Well, unless op thought about changing the definition of a clearly established trope while in the shower.

eternalankh t1_j2coa7e wrote

That's not how showerthoughts work... does anyone actually read the rules?

Also happy cake day

−3

GaryinZion t1_j2cuqss wrote

Thanks, but also, I didn't actually think op had the thought in the shower OR was trying to change the definition.

Though the realization is one many have had (and so may violate the rule about the thought needing to be original), the realization that "love triangles" as we use the phrase does not represent an actual triangle may have been new to them and felt unique enough (from their perspective) to post here.

This-Technology6075 t1_j2cmf49 wrote

Unless one of them was born eithout Male or female parts and with like nonbinary parts but nobody even does that in their stories unless it’s maybe a Frankenstein story

acarpenter08096 t1_j2d9dlw wrote

A love triangle is two people competing for the affection of one person. OP doesn't know what they're talking about

littleoctagon t1_j2biyfp wrote

Intersex people exist so, if they also consider themselves gender fluid and have both working parts...that could work right?

−2

acarpenter08096 t1_j2d9bj2 wrote

No, a love triangle is two people competing for the affection of one person. OP doesn't know what they're talking about

littleoctagon t1_j2da935 wrote

I had no idea 'love triangle' was so specific. I guess my definition would be more of a threesome or general polyamory (?). Either way, thx.