Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Calenchamien t1_j68885v wrote

Disagree. Some people do take kindness for weakness, but it’s unrelated to why low-wage workers are mistreated.

Low-wage workers are mistreated because society has an unacknowledged, unofficial hierarchy, in which some people are more socially powerful than others.

Consider: even though customer service workers and doctors are both paid to do a service for the general public, but no one mistreats doctors the way they do CS reps. That’s not because doctors aren’t nice people, nor because there is something unique about their kindness that makes people not see it as weakness, but because the service they provide is high value. Therefore they are high value, and deserve respect.

We’re fine with low value service people being treated like crap and we expect them to be kind no matter what. Or else.

PokeManiac16 OP t1_j6auql8 wrote

That totally makes sense but as a person who came from retail and went into nursing, things escalate higher which make them more outrageous. Maybe because it’s more intimate? I’ve always thought of healthcare workers as a “hierarchy” level being pretty up there. That’s why I believe kindness gets taken advantage of easily.

frogmuffins t1_j68hcsj wrote

I see what you're saying but my experience is very different. I'm nice to my customers until they decide to be rude. Literally 98% of the time I call them out they immediately settle down. Most of the rude people just need a reminder that if they want my help they will cut the attitude and be respectful.

It's literally as simple as that. I snap fingers and they behave.

Corrupted_G_nome t1_j68kkia wrote

A lot of people see wealth as a virtue. However that is a belief of wealthier people.

In poor people its always abusing a power dynamic. Some of whom are very nasty for no reason.

Many get rewarded for this behavior with free stuff so they repeat it.