Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Unkindlake t1_j6gol3y wrote

I want a real hacker to record themselves actually hacking even though it will probably be boring as fuck

nslenders t1_j6h4q1d wrote

Phonecall: Hello Jessica, this is John from IT. There seems to be a problem with your computer making it run slower than it should. I'm going to send u a link to reset your password, that should fix it on the backend.

WOTDisLanguish t1_j6hgmvp wrote

vim
:q
:!bash

WOTDisLanguish t1_j6hgwtt wrote

Either that or the silent panicking of accidentally using a TUI over a really flimsy reverse shell, or when you instinctively press ^C and accidentally kill your netcat process.

Sunblast1andOnly t1_j6i8ojv wrote

I... I understood "cat."

crispy1989 t1_j6im132 wrote

• Shell = The "command line". (More specifically, the part of the command-line interface that prompts you for commands, runs commands, and interfaces with the underlying OS.)
  • TUI = Terminal User Interface, a basic text-based interface that typically uses a text terminal as a grid of characters
  • Reverse Shell = A way of getting a terminal/command line on a remote system, especially when that remote system is not directly accessible on the Internet
  • Flimsy Reverse Shell = A reverse shell heavily limited by bandwidth, latency, reliability, or other restrictions. Makes using it a pain.
  • ^C = Abbreviation for Ctrl-C. Usually used to kill the currently running command in a terminal.
  • netcat = A command that is able to connect and receive connections and perform basic data transmission. Can be used to establish a rudimentary reverse shell.

Explanation:

Most work using commands on terminals is very low-bandwidth, so is particularly well-suited to slow or unreliable connections. However, programs that offer a terminal-based UI often use far more bandwidth (and other resources) in sending UI updates over a terminal. Sometimes, an overly aggressive terminal UI can send so many updates over a slow connection that the connection just gets "frozen" waiting for all that data. If one accidentally does this, the usual response is to try to kill the program sending data ASAP to limit the amount of time spent waiting to receive it; typically by smashing Ctrl-C repeatedly until it stops. However, the netcat program itself (unlike proper remote terminal commands like SSH and telnet) will intercept the Ctrl-C and will exit itself; in this example, ending the remote shell.

Sunblast1andOnly t1_j6impnr wrote

You gave a list of definitions and followed it with an ELI5 to tie it all together. You are not the hero we deserve, but the one we need. Thank you, Internet stranger.

CaptainAddi t1_j6hovz6 wrote

A Guy starring at his screen for 3 hours wondering what is wrong with his script

s3DJob7A t1_j6i19yw wrote

Plenty of creators on youtube. Someone like ippsec does tutorials on challenge machines or thecybermentor for learning the basics

MoobyTheGoldenSock t1_j6j7v88 wrote

Mr. Robot did a really good job: it used real world techniques and managed to make them work well in the context of a tv show.