Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Pinkumb OP t1_jclejyd wrote

>STAMFORD — The Board of Finance has approved allocating a $25,000 grant
toward a project to paint a mural on the new Stamford Transportation
Center parking garage, but the approval came with a proviso: “The mural
should be non-controversial and non-divisive.”
>
>Stamford Grants Officer Anita Carpenter told theboard at a meeting last week that the city received the money from theNational Endowment for the Arts for the installation of a mural on thestate-owned parking garage, which is currently under construction on South State Street. The garage is expected to open this summer.

Worth noting the criteria allows for murals that are stupid, over-the-top, and idiotic. Let's hear the community's best ideas. I think a unifying idea would be a fire-red background with black text saying: "GO BACK TO NEW YORK." You know, something representative of the town's style.

owenbreen t1_jclipl0 wrote

I think something along the lines of “fuck fentanyl” should be good

Raynosaurus t1_jclj75i wrote

The decision to build a parking garage inches from I-95 and blocking a large chunk of the skyline as you turn NB on the highway is so disappointing, just a massive concrete wall... I really hope whatever the finished version looks like is a little bit redeeming.

My 2 cents for a mural would be something 'gateway' themed for entering the NE states.

BuddhaBizZ t1_jcljlfs wrote

Ah yes all good art is like hotel art, hangs there for years and no one pays attention to it /s

dfeld1989 t1_jcll2qp wrote

Why spend 25k on a mural? I know this is a federal art grant but Can't these funds be allocated better? Like say property tax relief? I feel like we're in for a rude awakening once the new mill rates are decided with the recent property re-evaluations...

−9

Pinkumb OP t1_jclow51 wrote

That's not how grants work. The grants are for a specific purpose. If you're not using it for the purpose then you don't get the money.

Federal government decided to invest in arts. If you disagree with that call Jim Himes or Murphy/Blumenthal.

ajpiko t1_jcm13nx wrote

Damn there goes the "jews bad" idea

ruthless_apricot t1_jcm87wo wrote

I think a giant "WELCOME TO NEW HAVEN" sign would freak out many a sleepy commuter.

4sneed4club t1_jcmhrj2 wrote

If it's something like an Arab or African American represented in a weak or vulnerable state, overcoming some challenge like reading ( books scattered throughout mural) I would be severly disappointed- as it has absolutely nothing to do with the history and population of Stamford. If it was Poles and Italians holding hands then it would be appropriate. Otherwise make it as generic as possible because modern muralists can barely paint a human portrait let alone something non abstract (as abstract art gives 'creative freedom' to produce errors) and thus hire unskilled artists or ones who are prone to simple errors with geometry and distance.

It'll probably look like the one at the mall across urby, just random colors painted on the side and then praised for it's magnificence

−8

EuphoricPepper3488 t1_jcmp0kd wrote

Who knew a mural could draw so much news coverage and attention!

A combination of both historic and new buildings in Stamford could be cool.

takethecann0lis t1_jcn2biv wrote

This is a waste of time. Stamford has no creative soul or fire at all. As a street photographer I lost all inspiration when i moved here. People who live here are either pleasantly comfortable or living in challenging situations, but there’s no sense of cultural expression here aside from pleasentry or difficulty. I’ve lived all over the US and this is the least artistic community I’ve ever experienced. I even lived in an aircraft carrier and found more creative inspiration in the grey belly than here.

This is going to either be an epic failure that gets repainted or an epic display of nothing inspiring at all.