Submitted by lilfoodiebooty t3_1066i0o in StamfordCT

I’m from the DC area and moved here for work. It’s not uncommon to flash your lights at someone and them recognizing their headlights are off. Cops will pull you over for less down there.

Tonight, I saw someone without their lights on and flashed mine at them twice - once in the parking lot and the other when I was behind them on the road. They threw an empty cup at my car and I decided to give up since no one seems to notice this is being done because their lights are off. Not in the months I’ve lived here anyway.

Just wondering if this is a common courtesy that is used often up here. Not sure what the heck is going on.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ruusalor t1_j3f1a78 wrote

You probably should keep doing it just cause it is the right thing to do. People are just dumb sometimes. Although depending on where you were and what time it was when the cup was thrown at you, it's possible that guy was drunk.

I used to have a car with lights so dim, that just about any other source of light would drown out my lights. So in a city they were worthless for me as a driver, and only helpful on a country road or empty highway. And I definitely forgot to turn them on sometimes and I couldn't tell they were off because I couldn't see a difference. And then I'd get flashed at. It would always take a couple times for me to realize I needed to turn on my lights. Although for reference this was when I was in school, and I was in upstate New York then. Not here.

[deleted] t1_j3fbijr wrote

[deleted]

lilfoodiebooty OP t1_j3fj7ck wrote

I’ll give that a try, hopefully folks are receptive of that! I do think you’re right though, one of the people I flashed my lights to was exhibiting signs of distracted driving after I did it so sometimes it feels like negligence rather than a slip up.

pelliosophelus t1_j3idgyg wrote

I was gonna say this. Flashing brights means “your brights are on” while turning lights off and on I understand to be the signal to say your lights are off.

knightofsolarisbos t1_j3ey39q wrote

The problem here is a lot of aggressive drivers flash lights to indicate "you're going slow, outta my way". If they didnt realize their lights weren't on they probably thought you were a jerk.

lilfoodiebooty OP t1_j3eyh95 wrote

Dang, even at a stop light? What a bummer. Any other way to go about it or should I just let it be?

queenofthenerds t1_j3fupew wrote

Twice recently I've seen cars driving with no headlights on 95 and it's insane to me.

lilfoodiebooty OP t1_j3gkp0k wrote

It was in the Darien/Norwalk area (near the shopping center with the Kohl’s and Old Navy) at 8 PM. But I also see it in both main roads and highways. The car also just looked damaged so I suspect negligent drivers. It just boggles my mind that people simply don’t turn on their lights automatically at night, like putting on a seatbelt. In older cars, the dash doesn’t even light up. :S

mellamandiablo t1_j3h4m5l wrote

I live in an area with very minimal street lights so I’m flashing my lights at you hard if yours aren’t on.

I’d keep doing it, those people were being assholes.

HotPast68 t1_j3jc9tr wrote

I do it regardless, plenty of idiots driving the past few rainy days without em, even that one day when you couldn’t see past 300 feet cause of the fog

hpwfd t1_j3hjeec wrote

It’s common courtesy to me, as well as an important safety issue. My husband thinks it’s rude and that I’m being a nudge. 🙄

4sneed4club t1_j3zyt3w wrote

I get flashed in my newer jeep because I think they believe I have my high beams on. It is hella bright just with stock so I get it