Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

maddcatone t1_j92m7fx wrote

Anyone gonna tell them? Or should I? You do know that real wood captures even more CO2 right?

ph30nix01 t1_j93akhi wrote

We should be bioengineering trees or plants that capture carbon more efficiently and grow faster.

youreblockingmyshot t1_j93hzk0 wrote

Like combining bamboo growth speeds with anything that absorbs mass amounts of carbon?

TheSciFiGuy80 t1_j93i3tb wrote

Could you imagine a redwood that can grow to the size they are in just a few years?!?

youreblockingmyshot t1_j93jckr wrote

It would be incredible! Though I’m not sure they’d have the density as I think quick growing speeds normally result in a less dense wood. Im not an expert or even novice of any kind with tree husbandry though so just take it as the musings of a random person.

sanman t1_j95i68x wrote

I thought bamboo already absorbs massive amounts of carbon

You think it's pulling all that plant mass out of thin air?

oh... wait...

gertalives t1_j95ws0k wrote

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but this really isn’t the problem. Plants are extremely good at capturing carbon, as there’s strong selective pressure to photosynthesize efficiently. Our problem is about managing greenhouse gas production and better stewardship of these already amazing plants. I don’t think we should hold our breath awaiting some technical innovation that would drastically improve upon many millions of years of evolution.

SilverNicktail t1_j94fwmp wrote

Yes, but it's not strong enough for the types of buildings they're trying to construct.

Why does everyone read about new developments online and just presume that people who've researched this stuff for years haven't heard of x or y super basic thing?

rohnoitsrutroh t1_j94umtu wrote

SCL is good for certain applications, not for others. The real breakthrough for multi-story wood construction wasn't SCL (although it helps), but experimentation with tie-down systems and shear walls. Tall buildings are subject to overturning and racking, which requires shear walls and continuous tie-down rods.

The real use of SCL is that its stronger than normal wood, and is cheaper than steel or reinforced concrete for certain applications.

corsicanguppy t1_j95di0v wrote

>types of buildings they're trying to construct.

Having lost everything in a house fire, I'm okay in concrete.

carpetnoodlecat t1_j95z03m wrote

It happens with every single research result. Paper comes out saying “x causes y”, then some Redditor living living i their moms basement comments “Oh, but what if it selection bias, oh, what if y is just more prevalent, oh, etc efc”

AgoraiosBum t1_j94e0k3 wrote

With the engineered, you can build much taller wooden buildings. Which, in turn, captures more carbon and means that wood is used instead of cement

sanman t1_j95ifa6 wrote

engineered wood can also be used to build taller wooden ladders to help us deal with the towering skyscraper infernos when the wooden buildings catch on fire

AgoraiosBum t1_j97t61k wrote

They are fire rated just as well as other buildings. This has already been thought of.

daamsie t1_j94kxvo wrote

Am I misunderstanding? Isn't this stuff made out of real wood?