Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_jcgfpro wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

jezra t1_jcgja0x wrote

reservoirs "moving" seems like a bad thing. Where are they moving to?

Jtsansuey t1_jcgja5o wrote

HAARP seems to be up and running

−17

haggisaddict t1_jcgzest wrote

Is this because we are getting more precipitation? Conserving more? Or is the water being pulled from other reservoirs or aquifer?

keefstrong t1_jch2nbx wrote

Global warming is causing these depleted reservoirs to receive more deposits. GW is good!

Edit: wow I didn't know I needed the /s for this thought the explanation amrk was enough big whoosh

−87

kennacethemennace t1_jch989z wrote

>Drought over? Spring outlook finds relief -- and flood risk

No, one rainy season won't fix a century's worth of water diversion projects and irrigation systems. Drought, wildfires, drought, wildfires, drought, flood, then repeat.

TKtommmy t1_jchf3tu wrote

For the very last time, I imagine...

−2

ncc74656m t1_jchgud4 wrote

The trouble here is that one year's heavy precipitation does not a drought end make. You need consistent rain that doesn't overwhelm the dams or cause regular releases which largely go to waste (at least for most human use), and deep, consistent snowpack, which is built up over many years, not a single event.

If it returned to drought this year, that water would still run out very quickly.

People need to not go back to their wasteful habits, we need to get farms out of the arid climate, let aquifers refill, and kill off the golf courses and wasteful lawns.

OkFury t1_jchmgbi wrote

I'm pretty sure if they all keep moving right it's going to put the earth off balance and change the axis, which is the real concern and takeaway here.

AzLibDem t1_jchmxi3 wrote

>we need to get farms out of the arid climate

Agreed. Stop eating lettuce in the winter.

Edit: I love the down-votes; everyone loves to tell us how to live in the desert, but they get upset when we point out that they're part of the problem.

Ragingdark t1_jchn85l wrote

Man that article was depressing if anything.

AzLibDem t1_jchxvsh wrote

>wait does my lettuce in NJ come from Arizona? Why would they even do that.... oh money.

80% of the lettuce in the US after September comes from Arizona, because it's too cold to grow it elsewhere.

Agriculture uses around 85% of our water, but accounts for about 2% of our income.

We need to tack on a $5 per head water use surcharge.

lintinmypocket t1_jci19j9 wrote

It would probably cost more. But to be quite honest I think that growing in the winter in the southwest probably is not the worst decision, it’s growing in the summer, combined with flood irrigation that is an egregious waste of water. Even if irrigation moved to drip or more water conserving sources that would be a help. And the govt needs to STOP subsidizing certain crops to be grown in arid regions for export. Also also water laws in the SW are bananas.

AzLibDem t1_jci1qxh wrote

We need to just stop all of it.

It wastes our water, and brings in relatively little money, Without it, we have all the water we need to live here.

If people want salad, they can grow the stuff elsewhere.

gibbillionreasons t1_jci2td9 wrote

This isn't uplifting, just an opportunity to ignore the inevitable trajectory of water in the Western US - too many straws vying slurping up the same limited water supply

LargeMarge00 t1_jciguxy wrote

It's a radio system. That's it. Some people who find flexible metal fashionable for headwear believe that it can be used by the government to control the weather via radio transmissions. I'm kind of charmed to see it mentioned since 5G stole the thunder of people that don't understand electromagnetic radiation.

96vette t1_jciipvl wrote

Someone needs to do a study to see if increased rain and snowfall cause reservoirs to have more water.

AzLibDem t1_jddsd3g wrote

Actually, while you meant to be sarcastic, there's a reasonable chance that temperature increases will result in more rainfall for Arizona.

Historically, the Sierras have prevented moisture from reaching us, but as the air gets warmer, more moisture makes it over the mountains.

At the same time, the Yuma low, which is a static low pressure system, is getting bigger, and deflects the Jet stream farther south.

This means that colder air is hitting the increased moisture from the coast, causing greater precipitation.

It will take a while to see where it all settles out, but this later-season increase may be a new normal.