Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Headoutdaplane t1_jd4i6ky wrote

How bout push for an increase the budget of the NPS while you're at it?

Groundbreaking_War52 t1_jd4k10c wrote

In 2022 it received an extra $200 million ~ an increase of 6.5% over the previous year.

This year Biden has proposed an increase of $260 million over 2022 levels.

The NPS budget has increased by 26% over the last decade - accounting for inflation, it is still averaging a 5% increase.

Seth_Gecko t1_jd5v1rv wrote

They've gotten significant increases over the last 10 years. Maybe do a modicum of research before whinging about something?

Headoutdaplane t1_jd64b2z wrote

Whinging? Fuckin' awesome! watch a little too much Letterkenney?

The NPS is woefully underfunded no matter how much they have increased the budget. Parks and monuments do not have the personnel or facilities to handle the increased visitors, buildings and infrastructure are in decay. It is pretty apparent if you visit the parks. Park staff do a good job for the resources they have, but staffing parks is getting harder as folks want to realize they want to get paid even for a job they love.

−10

le_gasdaddy t1_jd4r7kv wrote

Giving away perfectly good Texan land that could be trashed or sold off to big interests? I think not! Our boy gubnah Greg Abbott will stand up to him!

Wheelin-Woody t1_jd65ht4 wrote

"Fuck Brandon. We're gonna keep selling off Sam Houston National Forest one parcel at a time to developers" - Greg

Clickclickdoh t1_jd86r3w wrote

Eh. It was already part of Fort Bliss. Bonus: It won't be open to public use for years because it's riddled with unexploded munitions and needs a serious EOD cleanup.

It does border the already existing Franklin Mountains State Park though if you want to enjoy the wilderness in that part of Texas.

ComprehensiveAdmin t1_jd5fxst wrote

What about Alaska, where he just approved the decimation of the final frontier via Big Oil?

I’m not a Biden dissenter, but this is SUPER fucking disappointing.

black641 t1_jd5j58v wrote

If it makes you feel better, it’s not like Biden blindly capitulated to oil execs. Biden’s deal for Willow reduced drill pads by 40%, required the drill company to relinquish the rights to 68,000 acres of land, and has banned or limited drilling on 13 million acres of land and 3 million acres of the Beaufort Sea. All in all, while Renewables are the future, it’s not difficult to admit we simply aren’t able to abandon fossil fuels altogether. Yet, anyway.

ComprehensiveAdmin t1_jd5kuu1 wrote

Agreements based on the bet that a new administration will come in and repeal any and all restrictions.

Wait…that’s every corporate agreement ever made.

series_hybrid t1_jd5jgz2 wrote

I think Clinton was the first president to do this. If you want to make a parcel of land a national park, it has to go through congress and a vote.

A president can declare something a "monument" with the stroke of a pen. It's odd, but...legally, a very large area of land can be declared a "monument".

jezra t1_jd3o9bz wrote

so there is no oil there

Lorry_Al t1_jd5foyt wrote

I didn't know that Nevada was in Texas.

CodingLazily t1_jd5xfic wrote

I'd like to see news articles cease usage of commas in place of 'and'.

Is there a city in Texas called Nevada? Yes, there actually is. Is Biden putting a monument there? As it turns out, he is not.

Using 'and' is only three three characters longer than using a comma, and it's a lot less ambiguous, lazy-sounding to read.

daveescaped t1_jd5pzjr wrote

This is truly good news. Texas has barely any public land.

Most-Artichoke5028 t1_jd7n1jg wrote

Awesome! That's really going to piss off Abbott and his henchmen.

AutoModerator t1_jd3ju7p wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

eagvent t1_jd5kafp wrote

Is Texas still part of America?

−2

ZekeDaniel t1_jd5je4d wrote

Can't use my tax money for Healthcare, but look at that statue I helped pay for! Awesome!

−10

citytiger OP t1_jd616w1 wrote

Thats not a what a national monument is.

ZekeDaniel t1_jd62nnr wrote

True, my exhausted work brain was thinking along the lines of Mount Rushmore

ZekeDaniel t1_jd5jf0r wrote

Can't use my tax money for Healthcare, but look at that statue I helped pay for! Awesome!

−12

Itarair t1_jd3w95i wrote

So like Harry Reid he can prevent Americans from using it then find a way to sell it out from under them

−30

[deleted] t1_jd3wnjh wrote

[removed]

−43

thatranger974 t1_jd5d45r wrote

No, just re-designating to increase protections. In Nevada they are protecting old growth Joshua tree and Native American sights from becoming solar fields.

thatranger974 t1_jd5d8bg wrote

No, just re-designating to increase protections. In Nevada they are protecting old growth Joshua tree and Native American sights from becoming solar fields.