Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

datarulesme t1_jdgcxmt wrote

>Biden’s proclamation is a major victory for the surrounding Fort Mojave Indian Tribe, which has been advocating for the monument’s creation for around three decades.

Lied- t1_jdhkemr wrote

Imagine the joy from a single pen stroke man…

doubleapowpow t1_jdluxu2 wrote

And the coinciding despair for others from the same man's pen stroke approving drilling in Alaska. Quite the dichotomy, really.

blue_field_pajarito t1_jdgw0uy wrote

While he also opens up pristine land in Alaska for drilling, something science tells us clearly we cannot continue doing. 🫠

oneandonlyname0 t1_jdh80pm wrote

Capitalism will capitalism, sadly. Though I am glad he is at least paying more than lip service in some regards.

akahaus t1_jdjmt07 wrote

“We’re” not doing it, an extremely small, elite segment of the wealthy population is.

blue_field_pajarito t1_jdjtzo7 wrote

For sure, but the only thing that can come up against that small elite is the "we" :)

akahaus t1_jdk808g wrote

Absolutely. Gotta build coalitions that engage in persistent, inclusive, nonviolent direct action, like SNCC did or Black Lives Matter is attempting to do against state resistance.

fawks_harper78 t1_jdhp724 wrote

You can’t drill for oil in the Mojave. I am also sure that this area has little mineral wealth. So then, when it is deemed to not have merit, is it ok to protect and make a NM…

Strict-Device7005 t1_jdhuvx1 wrote

I feel like mineral wealth is the least relevant part of d declaring land a national monument

TreeLord23 t1_jdic83a wrote

It isnt the least relevant part. If some company decided there was enough mineral wealth there to start mining it, the lobby so hard it wouldn't become one.

jonfitt t1_jdkbdzj wrote

I’m not commenting about the specifics of this Alaskan drilling. But in general the path to reducing oil consumption ironically needs us to maintain low oil prices and control the supply. Our economy is currently life-support-style dependent on oil and there’s no way we can transition to anything (good) without maintaining that.

Aporkalypse_Sow t1_jdlgzv0 wrote

Also the current crisis with Russia demands more oil production, otherwise even more economic collapse will happen.

Achillor22 t1_jdj5t2i wrote

While at the same time he's bulldozing Native holy sites just down the road to build a mine.

Daisychains30 t1_jdjhuwn wrote

I’m so glad these lands are protected because some of our largest silver and mineral deposits are in these areas and the land was in danger of being mined extensively.

This is a huge win. 🥲

Unlucky-Mud-2563 t1_jdjzy8f wrote

Only takes another trump to turn things upside down and start mining all the national protected sites.

cathyduke t1_jdhjche wrote

Good news for tribe, finally!!

theslimbox t1_jdhuohf wrote

It's cool he is doing this, but it will be interesting to look into this and see just how long this land has been considered sacred. Doing some family history, I recently foundout that many of the sites my nation claims is sacred, we took from other nations as we pushed westward as Europeans took our land. I think it's a shame that we are calling things ours that we simply conquered a century or less before it was taken from us.

vrenak t1_jdifdxq wrote

The age old question of how long do you have to occupy an area before it's yours, at least it's nice to see others being aware of this dilemma, because you can apply this globally to almost every single piece of land.

theslimbox t1_jdinc1q wrote

I agree, it's tricky. My opinion is that if we spend time complaining about the past, we are missing out on the future. I have relatives that are living on reservations complaining about how the old traditions are being lost, that would be much better off today if they moved on to modern living. I'm seeing them complain about sacred sites, when they have no clue that our nation was in the Eastern states less than 200 years ago, and they are saying areas we conquered other nations to take have been sacred to us for generations. A poor understanding of history leads to stupid claims. I forgive anyone that has done injustice to my family in the past as I hope others my family may have offended will forgive us, and I hope we can all work together to keep loving others we we love ourselves into the future.

vrenak t1_jdipsof wrote

Indeed, the past is just that, past. We should remember it, learn from it, but not let it control us. The mistakes and misdeeds of generations dead and buried aren't ours, live in the present, prepare for the future by learning from the past. Don't live in the past, destroy the future, by making the present the past.

drLagrangian t1_jdisf1s wrote

>Tribal elders call the mountain "The place where shamans dream." The tribes consider it a place where ancient ancestors emerged into this world.

>The mountain has been so significant to Indian spiritual leaders for thousands of years that they were reluctant to allow federal archaeologists Stanton Rolf and Cynthia Pinto of the Bureau of Land Management to put its secrets on paper.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/1999/oct/05/sacred-spirit-mountain-listed-among-historic-place/

The [Grapevine Valley Petroglyphs] were created between 1100 and 1900 AD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapevine_Canyon_Petroglyphs?wprov=sfla1

Around 10,000 years ago, as the last ice age melted away, the area that is today known as the Mojave Desert was a much wetter place. It was marked by lakes and streams fed by retreating glaciers and sustained by wetter weather patterns. https://www.treehugger.com/deserts-that-used-to-be-verdant-fields-and-forests-4868543#

So somewhere between 10,000 and 1000 years.

Millonairo t1_jdhchur wrote

As an American, I am ok with this. Doesn’t offend me. A country is defined by the monopoly it holds over fixed boundaries

Trojenectory t1_jdi9z87 wrote

What I am offended by is the Willow project in Alaska that is threatening the caribou migration that native populations depend on. The willow project is such a disappointment for our country. It is one of the last undisturbed places in America and the benefits of drilling are so insignificant in the big picture. This will release 4% of the us annual emissions which is exactly the opposite of what we need to meet his zero emission by 2050. Biden lied to us and broke the significant campaign promise of “no new drilling, period” on federal lands. This specifically bill is great but it will not distract me from the destruction he has approved.

Combatical t1_jdj02ua wrote

I feel like were gearing up for something and that something could be war. Call it conjecture but some things just aren't lining up. The irony is we could seek oil by means of war.. Or its just shit capitalism. Same as it ever was.

Trojenectory t1_jdncar9 wrote

So he approves the Willow project on the 12th of March then makes this memorandum on the 13th of March, which includes the exception “Nothing in this withdrawal affects rights under existing leases in the withdrawn areas.” Please someone correct me if I’m wrong in interpreting that as the Willow project is still green lit bc the lease was formally approved the day before!?

blanca69 t1_jdjfhwb wrote

It is a beautiful and glorious place ..

AutoModerator t1_jdg5t6l wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

-i-hate-you-people- t1_jdkt6lj wrote

When a reporter asked what his inspiration was for declaring a national monument, he replied “I did what now? C’mon man. Where am I?”

−3

General_Alduin t1_jdj8xrb wrote

Cool, now can he do anything else right?

−4

citytiger OP t1_jdjbdwg wrote

The President can't make law.

General_Alduin t1_jdjjnpv wrote

Then can the government do anything right? I don't care what parties in it, somebody do something

−2

citytiger OP t1_jdjvhdm wrote

the legislature makes the law not the president or the governor or mayor.

General_Alduin t1_jdk1nk7 wrote

Did I stutter? Anyone in government, do something right for once. We have nothing but incompetent morons in power.

−2

impulsiveclick t1_jdlx6l1 wrote

Well since the republicans took over the house, this is all they have accomplished. Only for 2023.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q=%7B%22congress%22%3A%5B%22118%22%5D%2C%22source%22%3A%22all%22%2C%22bill-status%22%3A%22passed-both%22%7D

When democrats had a majority in the house 2021 and 2022.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q=%7B%22congress%22%3A%5B%22117%22%5D%2C%22source%22%3A%22all%22%2C%22bill-status%22%3A%22passed-both%22%7D

Be sure to vote out people who are doing what you don’t want.

General_Alduin t1_jdmf4et wrote

Oh yeah because everything was going just great before that point. I want to vote out both parties, full of nothing but corrupt lackeys

impulsiveclick t1_jdmf9qe wrote

Parties instead of people. You go tiger not understanding anything.

General_Alduin t1_jdmialf wrote

I understand the American government has been nothing but a disaster since 2016 and failed the American people

impulsiveclick t1_jdmlx9d wrote

My state has done mostly well. Low poverty but high homelessness. Its a weird problem.