Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_irdq21o wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

bcatrek t1_irdxx9l wrote

First time since 2020? Wow that’s like 2 years!!

cpsutcliffe t1_ire3a6q wrote

Title should say since 2016, as none were elected in 2020.

The only female representative, Safa Al Hashem lost her seat in 2020 and from the 29 female candidates, none were elected. Leaving the parliament without a female MP for the first time since 2012.

This year, of the 305 candidates, only 22 were women and it looks like 2 were elected, Alia al-Khaled and former Minister Jenan Boushehri.

It doesn't look very representative but progress is progress.

technicalityNDBO t1_ireeh4y wrote

OMG I thought that was Mrs. Claus in the thumbnail.

powertothepeopleyall t1_iremdyb wrote

So women being elected in kuwait is not new. So, why is this uplifting?

Knuckles316 t1_iremfcl wrote

"First time since 2020" - so, like 1 election? This isn't hardly news, let alone uplifting news. This just seems like an absolutely pointless article.

imnota4 t1_irf8wiq wrote

Wow cool, and yesterday the sun went away, wonder if it'll happen again.

tgass t1_irf9kh7 wrote

So that's like 144 months?! Gosh darn.

r0botdevil t1_irfdp2d wrote

Okay that makes this make a lot more sense.

I was gonna say the United States hasn't elected a woman to the Senate since 2018 so what's the big deal? But it's totally different if they haven't had a sitting female MP since 2020.

CazRaX t1_irflbd1 wrote

The first one ever elected was elected in 2016 and she was literally the ONLY woman up until now when 2 women were elected. It is news and uplifting because the number of women elected has tripled and is seeing an upward trend, not great but progress.

CazRaX t1_irflhm5 wrote

Before these two women only one woman was ever elected and that was in 2016, none were elected in 2020 (which is what they mean by "since 2020"). It's news because only 3 women have ever been elected.

LeaFett t1_irfr51v wrote

This is battling hand to hand with the Australian scientists compost discovery. Wtf?!

Abestar909 t1_irfu5p5 wrote

This should be a template for this sub.

"Special interest group X does X for first time (insert qualifying time period if not actually first time.)"

You know I subscribed here to actually get some positive news but all these posts do is remind me how divided we are and that it's only getting worse. I'm gonna unsub, peace.

Knuckles316 t1_irg1zar wrote

But the headline makes it sound like it did happen before. In the last election. So that's not uplifting because it's basically saying nothing new happened.

slokiebear t1_irgjziu wrote

Damn good for them, only took 2 years and likely 1 whole election cycle!

KagFiller t1_irgmqlc wrote

congratulations Kuwait! women are getting more and more power in politics and the world is getting better and better year by year!

DarthSully t1_isx3fh0 wrote

That’s not even remotely true.. Four women joined the parliament as the first in 2009.

Massouma Al Mubarak, Salwa al Jassar, Aseel al Awadhi and Rola Dashti.