Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mrbokankles t1_irimx9u wrote

Anakin Skywalker so mad right now.

KaiserSozes-brother t1_irihl9o wrote

Great Sand dunes is a beautiful park in a remote area of southern Colorado.

It isn’t a desert as much as wind blown sand dunes. The winds reliability blow from the southwest and then into a mountain dropping their wind collected sand in a pile. I’m sure there is a more scientific answer, but you get the idea.

ch25stam25 t1_irhtd7f wrote

Sand has taken over more area and that’s good news?

Dragonmodus t1_iri0s96 wrote

The desert is not bigger, the park is bigger. Less uplifting part is this is a big oil donation/tax cut.

Lelabear t1_irit3bg wrote

Also I've found that the "Nature Conservancy" involved in some pretty suspicious land grabs. I also know that ranch that just got folded into the park, I lived in the Valley when it was purchased by the NC and a lot of locals had serious concerns about the easement protocols, but the NC sidestepped those nicely, as usual.

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/opinion/noonan-a-crazy-quilt-of-conservation-easements-confounds-coloradans/article_d05e69ba-3000-11e9-a2a9-6b531fdb2855.html

https://kdvr.com/news/local/great-sand-dunes-national-park-grows-by-9300-acres/

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/opinion/in-response-column-miscast-conservation-effort-for-historic-colorado-ranch/article_47a32c20-3486-11e9-853d-47c596e32183.html

stars_mcdazzler t1_irhyp6c wrote

If it is then do I have some great news for you! Deserts all around the world are going to get bigger over the next coming decades thanks to climate change! Yippee.

Just_A_Golden_Lad t1_iri9fjt wrote

Not sand, acres. The park was expanded thanks to acquiring some land from a neighboring ranch

TheGravelLyfe t1_iridk9w wrote

Not only has the sand not increased, but the park is not completely sand. There are some nice forested areas of the park at higher elevations.

VonRansak t1_irk561i wrote

>Sand has taken over more area and that’s good news?

Tell me you've never been to that part of Colorado without telling me you've never been to Coloardo.

AutoModerator t1_irhhqf7 wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

tech405 t1_irj3sol wrote

By itself? Seems aggressive.

EveningIndividual977 t1_irin1up wrote

Does that mean I can go rock diving there?

−2

Introverted_Learner t1_iritxlq wrote

You can rock dive anywhere. Some places you can even go more than once!

EveningIndividual977 t1_iriu98s wrote

I'm a character, i collect the good specimens. That's music to my ears 😁

Bentendo1993 t1_iriymyt wrote

You can not collect rocks (or literally anything) at National Parks in America. It is actually a federal crime

EveningIndividual977 t1_irizk6f wrote

That's up to the park, check out the website before you visit. I know they have a 3 bucket annual limit for the park nearby