Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tehpwarp t1_iu86w7p wrote

>The passenger was riding Colorado’s Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad on October 10 when she spotted the hiker through the window and alerted the train conductor

>The hiker, a woman from New Mexico, went missing after she began a hike on the Colorado Trail, says the office. She left the trail and headed along the Animas riverbank, where she fell, breaking her leg. She spent two nights injured in the wilderness, according to the office.

>After the second night, she managed to find a high-visibility spot on the riverbank – and flagged down the passing train.

>Two train staff who were also trained medics crossed the river and stayed with the hiker until the Silverton Medical Rescue team arrived, according to the office.

Really lucky for her. Surviving like that with a broken leg. Reminded me of "Touching the void" by Joe Simpson.

Rwiegman t1_iu8xwe3 wrote

Really good she was found and is safe. However, she was hiking alone (assuming without a sat phone or telling others where she was going), and went off trail. These wrong decisions are invariably why people get injured or die every year on hiking trails.

gophergun t1_iu9pygl wrote

Going off trail with no supplies in shorts and a t-shirt at the start of snow season.

darkmatterhunter t1_iu9xekh wrote

Pretty sure I just saw a post in the hiking sub with the viral packaged Halloween costume that is exactly this lol. It even said “sense of direction not included.”

curiousarcher t1_iuc4gyg wrote

Plus no food and shorts on! She was very lucky to survive 20° weather!

BiggestFlower t1_iucouso wrote

I’ve done that. Psychologically it’s very different from the alternative. I accept the small risk of death in return for the psychological benefits.

KmartQuality t1_iu9d5mg wrote

Yeah, she should have stayed on the paved walkway to official wildlife viewing area near the parking lot and ADA compliant restroom.

−28

Rwiegman t1_iu9df76 wrote

What does that mean, other than being a dick to someone? Probably a bot just stirring hate, 195 days on Reddit

jennanm t1_iu87p40 wrote

That railroad goes through some gorgeous, but really remote and challenging areas. It's a miracle she made it to the spot she did to be found.

EmperorGeek t1_iu8b4fh wrote

And that the passenger alerted train staff in time to stop the train and help her.

So many things went wrong to put her where she was, and so many things went right to get her home again.

Aporkalypse_Sow t1_iua0r8x wrote

>So many things went wrong

Just one really, broke the first rule. Don't go alone without some way of sending out an SOS.

EmperorGeek t1_iua1qgz wrote

Another broken rule, don’t go back country alone!

shavemejesus t1_iui6e23 wrote

Oh no, I broke my leg while hiking. I know, I’ll just flag down a passing train. That’s some luck.