Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gsoClarke t1_iuwyc63 wrote

The Fousing First model made a lot of sense when I first saw it in 2009. It will take a little time to verify the data based on the night in January census. Deaths could also account for it based on the very little information provided in the article. I would like to have seen some other ratios and counts.

artcook32945 t1_iux1vv5 wrote

My first thought was also wondering about how deaths might play into this. Vets who did combat are an aging population.

runbyfruitin t1_iux4y30 wrote

For the 2020 to 2022 period - wasn’t most of the country under an eviction/foreclosure moratorium? I wonder if that plays a part.

NewsYouCanShmooze OP t1_iux8shi wrote

Good point. That probably did play a role. We can conclude the moratorium had a positive outcome.

jdogburger t1_iuya3i9 wrote

How many vets died from covid complications or opioid overdoses during that period?

artcook32945 t1_iuyl6fe wrote

And, being homeless, makes both of their problems more deadly.

NewsYouCanShmooze OP t1_iuwyoo5 wrote

Yes, more data is always good. On the face of it, though, this does seem to be very uplifting news.

Juls7243 t1_iux3izl wrote

Why? How?

Did the homeless veterans all die or were they housed? Pieces of information like this aren't helpful or meaningful as they don't give you a sense of whats actually happening.

Tritiumtree t1_iuynrwv wrote

https://apnews.com/article/aeee16dd683b4ac0bc4d279b513d76b5

To get homeless veterans into permanent homes, the Obama administration used a program that was created in 2008 and combines rental assistance from HUD with
case management and clinical services from the VA. Nearly 90,000 so-called HUD-VASH vouchers have been awarded, with $635 million appropriated for vouchers from 2008 to 2016.

[deleted] t1_iux4n1o wrote

[removed]

−20

baphometromance t1_iuxc35d wrote

Yes but the data lacks nuance. If all the homeless veterans killed themselves you could say vet homlessness had dropped by 100%. We need data on what caused them to stop being homeless to extract true meaning from this.

rustys_shackled_ford t1_iuxbsuz wrote

I wonder how many were "rehomed" into a for profit prison

helfrichi t1_iuyfwei wrote

Or in caskets. The government doesn’t give a fuck.

AutoModerator t1_iuwx7or wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.