Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

freeshavocadew t1_izkzhu5 wrote

Am in the US, can I get some cheap mangoes plz?

zwcropper t1_izl6fht wrote

Mangoes were one of the only pieces of produce that seemed cheap to me as a Brit when I was in Central NY last month

freeshavocadew t1_izl7wlo wrote

I live nearly 1,200 miles away in the middle of the US.

zwcropper t1_izlbaaz wrote

I wasn't doubting your access to cheap mango, just expressing shock that the cheap mangoes I found in non-mango-climate-y CNY in Fall/Winter weren't a more widespread thing

iamfuturetrunks t1_izm7aus wrote

As someone in ND, I also experience this annoyance. I didn't try mangos until I went to college and they had them at a salad bar (they were frozen before being thawed out) I had to ask what they were. They were delicious. Haven't had any good ones since then. I actually went to a walmart once and saw some and figured why not (they were green) and waited a long time for them to "ripen" only to be told they were mainly for cooking. -_-

CO_PC_Parts t1_izmk7pg wrote

I live in kc and they are in this weeks Aldi ad for .69/ pound.

Midwestkiwi t1_iznn4vn wrote

Aren't they cheap everywhere in the US... I'm in the midwest and see them constantly at like a dollar a piece, sometimes 2 for 1.

xSlappy- t1_izlhrww wrote

In my area mangos are cheap but the presliced ones are super expensive. You pay for laziness

[deleted] t1_izljg2h wrote

[deleted]

−21

SixFootTavern t1_izlvkum wrote

Sometimes I’ll buy the sliced ones because I can see the texture. It sucks buying a big watermelon and cutting into it just to find that it’s rubbery.

FatalExceptionError t1_izlz8w1 wrote

I’m not good enough about picking the perfect uncut watermelon that I also buy presliced. It saves money vs tossing fruit I dislike once I cut it.

witchyanne t1_izloudo wrote

I sometimes buy ore sliced fruit when it’s marked down to like 13p for the whole box.

TheWalkingDead91 t1_izma2wj wrote

We don’t even have good mangos here. Thankfully I live in Florida, where good back yard mango varieties are easy to find when they’re in season….but the mangos they sell in stores suck by comparison. Good for a smoothie or making a dessert, but otherwise not that good.

imnotsoho t1_izmkiel wrote

>good back yard

Cries in most of the world.

LazyBox2303 t1_izumpio wrote

Me too! I’m in Los Angeles and the mangoes come from Hawaii. No over supply there.

SomethingIrreverent t1_izkgf0t wrote

Maybe this will drive the price of dried mango down to something a bit more affordable than $10/lb.

howard416 t1_izkzmvm wrote

I bet someone will chime in with “dried mangoes are made from mangoes not suitable for fresh eating” or whatever

[deleted] t1_izlt3ts wrote

And someone will chime on with "its almost like with an oversupply of mangoes, many of them will eventually become unsuitable for eating" or whatever

notsoluckycharm t1_izlwkb7 wrote

Although the end consumer may see some benefit, the majority of mango used commercially isn’t in fruit format or even IQF. Its likely they’ll just convert to an aseptic format and store for years. You’ll be seeing even more mango beer next year, probably.

SuchSalad4 t1_izmgjvl wrote

I'm buying a bunch and drying it. Going to freeze some as well. I'm finding giant boxes with 10 huge mangos for only $10.

dalfio t1_izl3ntu wrote

I want some mango now

frealfr t1_izlmkwu wrote

Mango margaritas are the best!

mauore11 t1_izlr6g4 wrote

Same here. During peak season, you can't give mangos away. There's so many the price drops to zero.

MechanicalMan64 t1_izlus3l wrote

Wait... The guiding principle of the modern economic system 'supply and demand" can mean lower prices? When did this start?

mademanseattle t1_izltpe5 wrote

Is the Flying Fox bat population dropping?

Wvitchblxdes t1_izlvyd9 wrote

give me them, I’ll single-handedly fix the problem

DrSeuss19 t1_izll6xu wrote

Wish I was in Australia right now

ShorkieMom t1_izmexei wrote

Same. While I would enjoy a mango, I mostly want to be there because it's summer.

Afferbeck_ t1_izmz2vk wrote

Am currently there, very glad it's barely summer. We've had like 2 hot days so far, been completely comfortable otherwise. It's going to be like 26 degrees all week. Hope it keeps that up til Christmas because sitting around in a pool of sweat isn't a fun way to celebrate when some crooner is banging on about dashing through the snow. Last year was brutal.

karamurp t1_izmd5j6 wrote

Eating a mango in Australia right now. Can confirm it's good

Denadiss t1_izmbbih wrote

Grew up on South East Asia and have visited Australia. Mangos shouldn't be expensive at all in Australia. That stupid as hell.

Oh no! Greedy capitalists can't afford to price gouge a fruit anymore to buy second house. Best say things are plummeting.

notsocoolnow t1_izn51xb wrote

As it happens, visiting Perth next week. Lovely fruit grown there. Adding gorging on mangos to my itinerary!

dangerislander t1_iznt6fi wrote

No wonder my family bought 2 box trays of mangoes!!! Lol

AutoModerator t1_izkatu7 wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

bryan_pieces t1_iznxtm4 wrote

Am I the only one who eats frozen mango by the handfuls every day?

KlM-J0NG-UN t1_izsk0a2 wrote

Can we do this but with apartments instead? Thanks

hayster t1_izllcxk wrote

I hope this flows over to nz. Those r2e2 mangos are so good

witchyanne t1_izlom7v wrote

I wish that was true in U.K. - I love mango!

gcool7 t1_izm13g8 wrote

Uhh send them to me