Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j0hoiur wrote

[removed]

−31

princess_kittah t1_j0hprw8 wrote

oh yeah, lets not endeavour towards any more medical innovations at all because they'll probably be used improperly /s

agaperion OP t1_j0hvnd7 wrote

Every new scientific and technological advance comes with risk. Pretty much everything in life comes with risk. But that's no reason to give up on seeking solutions to the challenges we face.

Medicine is moving in the direction of things like bioengineering. It's not going away. Same with our fears over AI and nuclear energy; We need to set aside our fears and develop safeguards so we can implement these technologies responsibly. Burying our heads in the sand leaves the task to less cautious people who aren't going to burden themselves with responsible research.

And on top of all that, we've spent decades leaving these problems to the cops. Look how well that's worked out. Maybe it's time to put down the guns and consider scientific solutions. We lost the "War On Drugs" because it's not a problem that makes sense using a metaphor of combat. But it is almost certainly a problem that makes sense when considered as a matter of health and well-being. Which is why we've begun to use terms like "addiction epidemic", etc.

BucBrady t1_j0i0uyb wrote

I mean... What do you think would go wrong?

StupidizeMe t1_j0j64xa wrote

Are you serious? Criminals are adding Fentanyl to other drugs to make them much more addictive, guaranteeing there are enough desperate addicts to make them very rich. Right now they add just a speck of Fentanyl (which of course is plenty deadly.)

But if drug dealers no longer have to worry about accidentally KILLING THEIR OWN CUSTOMERS - thus killing their own long-term profits - they'll be free to add MORE FENTANYL TO MORE PRODUCTS. All they care about is 💰💰💰💰💰.

agaperion OP t1_j0jaold wrote

Sounds like you didn't even read the article.

Zealousideal_Role189 t1_j0imfpd wrote

I think they meant that the people who really need this treatment are probably the same people who typically dig their heels in over getting vaccinations.

−3

iamhalsey t1_j0j1a4i wrote

I’m completely baffled by this statement. Where on Earth did you get the idea that the majority or even a statistically significant number of people suffering fentanyl overdoses are anti-vaxxers?

Zealousideal_Role189 t1_j0j2ttx wrote

Because there’s a ton of opioid abuse and overdosing in rural areas and particularly in the South. I’m thinking of West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and Louisiana.

And don’t get too worked up. I was just floating a second potential interpretation of the earlier comment.