Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chicomathmom t1_j1mmfcc wrote

What is a "twenty cent piece"?

Ancient_Ad5270 t1_j1mn075 wrote

Like a quarter but five cents less? It’s a coin.

chicomathmom t1_j1mqj1u wrote

I figured. I was actually just gently pointing out that this was not a useful way of describing the size of the turtles to a wide audience, since that coin is not universally known. We all do this, so it was not a harsh criticism; the picture cleared up the size issue, and I didn't mean to take away from the adorable-ness of the tiny turtles : )

Konlir t1_j1n3ph8 wrote

>since that coin is not universally known.

It's an australian news article, and in the australian currency there is only a 20c coin, not a 25c coin.

​

Skimming around other currencies (euro, british pound), there is also just a 20c piece, not a 25c piece

SpiderMcLurk t1_j1n00yg wrote

Would you prefer millimetres?

ActivisionBlizzard t1_j1moolj wrote

TIL America doesn’t have this logical division of 100

(And yes my country doesn’t have your logical division)

budgreenbud t1_j1n46sm wrote

But is it cheaper to mint four coins for a dollar rather than 5? Or is the cost negligible?

ActivisionBlizzard t1_j1neqjp wrote

Logic would say it’s cheaper. Reality would say it depends on the alloy and size.

I don’t think the government is concerned about the cost of minting. Coins generally all cost more than the face value and notes wayyyyyy less.

The amount of currency that the government creates minus the cost is called the seigniorage amount.

cammoblammo t1_j1ohhbb wrote

Not sure. But a twenty cent coin weighs exactly twice as much as a ten cent coin, which means you can mix those denominations and still count them with scales.

Not that the staff at a bank would be happy with you for doing this, but it’s kinda neat.

Phazon2000 t1_j1nfo2p wrote

Like a five cent piece but worth twenty.

Lmao my dude.