Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

InfiNorth t1_j2bwybs wrote

The important thing to remember that of that 0.5% of the population that are indigenous, 100% of them are related to the actual forebearers of the responsibility of taking care of the land they love on. In Canada right-wingers whine about how indigenous people are given bottomless handouts, do nothing, and pay no taxes (when that isn't true at all). All this despite the people whose land was stolen from them through deceptive treaties that they weren't even told the contents of, nor aligned with their legal customs regarding land ownership having gone through genocide after genocide, having less than 0.001% of the land they are the traditional stewards of, and having had their families torn apart for generations.

The indigenous peoples of the Americas have been mistreated for long enough. I can't believe that Brazil has taken this long to start moving in the right direction but I'm glad it is finally changing.

nememmim t1_j2c32cr wrote

>I can't believe that Brazil has taken this long to start moving in the right direction but I'm glad it is finally changing.

Do indigenous peoples in Canada own a bigger percentage of land than indigenous groups in Brazil? I'm asking because it seems like you're implying Canada has better policies in place towards indigenous populations.

InfiNorth t1_j2c5p6l wrote

I really wasn't. I was saying that everyone needs to step up their game. Canada is shit towards it's indigenous population.

Orgidee t1_j2cvspr wrote

>100% of them are related to the actual forebearers of the responsibility of taking care of the land they love on.

🤣

InfiNorth t1_j2dyfny wrote

Can you explain why you find this funny?