Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

XxBatman357xX t1_j3qzz6s wrote

To be fair, we don’t know the full story behind why he couldn’t retire early. Was it due to unforeseen emergency spending? Or just lack of saving for retirement?

−26

Cheetahs_never_win t1_j3r2fhb wrote

Personally, I plan to work through retirement simply because studies show you live longer and better when you challenge your body and mind.

Now, as a Walmart greeter? Not so much. But maybe if it's in location with people who are nice to old people.

Prunestand t1_j3si3f6 wrote

> Was it due to unforeseen emergency spending? Or just lack of saving for retirement?

Ah yes, it is the victim's fault.

SizzlerWA t1_j3uu9k4 wrote

I’m also against victim blaming but how do you know the 82 year old is a victim? Or are you responding to this commenter’s lack of curiosity about other potential causes besides the two they gave?

−5

LazyMe420 t1_j3uwwbr wrote

He's an elderly man being forced to work to make ends meat in a first world country in the supposed civilized world.
I know it might be hard for some Americans or American-minded people to comprehend this, but the true value of a society is displayed by how it treats it's weakest members.
He's not only a victim of a cruel society, but also an exemplary sign of it's sickness and self-destructiveness.

SizzlerWA t1_j3ux9wi wrote

Ok, you didn’t really answer my question IMHO but it’s not worth debating. I hope he enjoys some happiness and travels now.

−3

LazyMe420 t1_j3uyzkm wrote

I did in fact answer your question, you may just be unable to comprehend the implications of an old man being forced to work because of that very same self-destructive mindset.

In civilized society the situation makes him a victim by default.