Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

oceanspire t1_j7937su wrote

what is the purpose of posting art if you can’t take constructive criticism? it’s how a lot of artists improve. it wasn’t even really a rude comment. your art is lovely, but this seems unnecessary.

−1

MitoChomp t1_j7954yq wrote

The purpose of posting art is to SHOW your art, that's it. If they don't ask for criticism, you DON'T give criticism, either you like it or not. There's plenty of way to improve, giving unsolicited advice will not help as much as you think.

oceanspire t1_j796doq wrote

While I understand, when posting publicly online, people are going to simply give opinions whether requested or not. And while the comment was unsolicited, it didn’t seem mean spirited either. It was feedback. Unsolicited and unwanted, but still feedback. Replying hostilely the way OP did also was not necessary.

MitoChomp t1_j79b4sn wrote

Ahh yes I understand that the feedback was probably well intended but it also must be frustrating and discouraging spending hours on an illustration to see someone telling you "you should do that" or "don't do that that way". I understand that the reply was harsh but OP has the right to express their anger too... Those kind of feedback can be very disheartening. (I think I'll handle them worst than OP if it were to happen to me ahah)

oceanspire t1_j79eduh wrote

Understandable for sure, just giving my opinion on the matter. I completely get your side of it though

nameoftheyear_ t1_j79c8ec wrote

The argument you’re making that all online spaces are equally public arenas for feedback is frankly nuts. No normal person behaves like this. This is not an art crit subreddit.

oceanspire t1_j79et27 wrote

I’m not saying it should be. I’m saying people are just going to comment, people are going to say things. Whether it is wanted or not, it’s what people do online especially with the benefit of being anonymous behind a screen. It’s not really avoidable when posting publicly. You can block or mute, but being hostile in return is not necessary when the original comment/intention was not hostile to begin with.

nameoftheyear_ t1_j79fhs7 wrote

Sorry, but no, you’re backpedaling. What you said was: “What is the purpose of posting art if you can’t take constructive criticism?“

This is the wrong place to have this conversation, but I will leave by saying that you have no defense here if you’re claiming that you were trying to start a dialogue with something that tone-deaf and that insulting.

oceanspire t1_j79fz2j wrote

You’re right, I did say this. However, after hearing from others I’m more understanding of your side. But the point still stands that, when posting publicly, opinions are just going to come in regardless. Block, mute, ignore, whatever. But being hostile isn’t necessary. OP is allowed to post whatever wherever, but others are also allowed and are going to comment, unsolicited or not.

Edgy_Hog2435 t1_j7a95pb wrote

Freedom of speech doesn't equate freedom from consequence. My art teacher BTW laughed at the person's critique. That person knew nothing of what they spoke. "The lighting source wasn't fixed" according to them. Prof. straight up said it's like calling a red car blue after checking out the art and the comment.

If someone's being an unnecessary d#@*, hostility comes with it. Don't try defending the other person just cause "comments will come in, regardless of them being unsolicited or not". Like I said, freedom of speech ≠ freedom from consequence. "Being hostile" is also a consequence, like it or not. And it's justified in this context. So please, don't gatekeep how people react.

Cryptic-Q t1_j799ydy wrote

I actually feel bad for the original comment, op posted this on Twitter, I bet Twitter mob came at them so they had to delete, it wasn't even mean spirited.

Eliciden t1_j7b8vkz wrote

It's unasked for criticism. OP worked really hard on that piece, and someone coming in to give their unsolicited advice without saying anything good about it must be disheartening.

If an artist didn't ask for criticism when showing off a work they're proud of, it's rude to give them it.

[deleted] t1_j7a2qej wrote

[deleted]