Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

doktorhladnjak t1_j780hcx wrote

North Cascades for the win

BamBamCam t1_j78y3j7 wrote

Where we’re going there are no roads. Back to the past.

--Thoreau-Away-- t1_j78ozdv wrote

u/CharcoalCharts how did you generate this? It’s really cool, but it’s missing a lot. For example, Bainbridge Island is entirely missing.

Thighrocker t1_j78xx7c wrote

Same with vashon

Luke3131 t1_j79qa6k wrote

Same with orcas… apparently you can’t drive from the the landing to Eastsound or to doe bay

ScallopOolong t1_j79yu81 wrote

And Fox Island, and Anderson, and others.

And the whole coast of Puget Sound is weirdly cut off. Like for the Seattle area you can clearly see Lake Union, Green Lake, the Duwamish, etc. But the weirdly abrupt "shore" cuts off downtown, leaving out most of Queen Anne, all of Magnolia, much of Ballard, much of Everett, West Seattle, SeaTac, and Burien, much of Federal Way, Point Defiance, and Northeast Tacoma is just missing. I-5 between Tacoma and Seattle is cut by some weird intrusion of Puget Sound, somewhere around 516. Part of 101 on the west side of Hood Canal is missing. It's all very weird. Looks like a bad xacto knife job all along the shores of Puget Sound.

Up around Lynnwood you can see the I-5 and 405 interchange, and a bit to the west the diagonal line of Hwy 99, except going south 99 just runs straight into the water around what seems to be Lake Ballinger.

But worst of all, no Point Roberts!

whitepawn23 t1_j78rb7u wrote

This looks like there’s a lot of noise aside from actual roads. Also, what happened to Long Beach peninsula?

Haz_de_nar t1_j79bgye wrote

Is this not all the roads. Idk why it would have the roads north of the 530 some one which are not driveable and not have NF -23 , NF 49, or NF 29 which goes way the hell up Suattle River.

SockeyeSTI t1_j7bl3b9 wrote

I noticed the lack of road from Aberdeen to Westport and the road In ocean shores.

azdood85 t1_j78zpqe wrote

My road isnt on there.

LeftHandLuke01 t1_j787v1u wrote

Is there really that many roads on/around Mt Adams?

EvanSei t1_j78ubxd wrote

Pretty much all those squiggly weird looking roads around all of southwest Washington are logging roads.

I know fist hand that all those roads aren't "real" roads.

Wellcraft19 t1_j78apal wrote

One of the most amazing roads, Signal Peak Road, from White Swan over the mountains to Glenwood/White Salmon is sadly off limits due to tribal land. Quality like nothing else (super smooth winding pavement, a driver's paradise).

So lot of roads are 'there', but on tribal land hence not accessible.

LeftHandLuke01 t1_j78br5u wrote

That sounds amazing. I love me some driving. We recently went down the White Salmon River by way of...Conboy Lake(?), I think it was. It was super foggy that day. We went down along the Columbia and stayed at the St Martin hotel hot springs resort in Carson. First time I had been in that part of the country. It's crazy how fast everything changes from prairie/plains to short, craggy mountains covered in fuzzy trees.

Wellcraft19 t1_j78gdps wrote

Stumbled over the road(s) by mistake. was headed from SEA to Hood river. Checked maps for something more fun than just taking 97 over Satus Pass (which is not bad at all, a very pretty route, but having done it so many times, open for something different).

So found Wiley Road that looked like it'd cut over a bit to White Salmon, never having us go east to Toppenish, and then Signal Peak Road. But big mistake as we were forced to turn around twice, making the entire trip to Hood River easily take 3x as long as planned.

Still not until we had seen the sweet pavement and flowing turns (even in a SUV) a bit on the gorgeous Signal Peak Road.
But why there could not be a sign by White Swan, saying road is blocked off 5 miles ahead - or whatever the distance was - beats me. But maybe it's there today. Have not been back.

newaccountscreen t1_j789b8v wrote

Possibly fire roads?

LeftHandLuke01 t1_j78a4n0 wrote

Ahh. That could be. I recently moved into the shadow of Mt Adams and was surprised at how little access there is to the mountain.

thabc t1_j78k3z2 wrote

You can thank the timber industry for building most of the roads in this image. Gotta get the logs to the mill somehow.

elevatedOoze t1_j78mvmn wrote

And calling many of them “roads” is quite generous. The Forest Service has been letting a lot of them become reclaimed.

thabc t1_j78ne3f wrote

Yeah, so many trailheads I grew up driving to are now inaccessible due to washouts or just unmaintained. Now only accessible by bike or foot. But then other roads that have been completely overgrown I've seen rebuilt once it came time to harvest.

wpnw t1_j79ix1t wrote

Looks like this map is picking up some trails too. You can clearly see the Wonderland Trail circumnavigating Mt. Rainier. Same deal with the dotted like going halfway around Adams, and you can see the Pacific Crest Trail almost continuously from White Pass all the way to Canada.

RelativelySatisfied t1_j78b1ah wrote

You should map out Michigan. That place is nothing but roads! It’s relatively flat too. No need to have a road every square mile.

Aromatic-Mushroom-36 t1_j78styy wrote

I just saw the same map for Idaho on their subreddit. Interesting all the roads and lack there of.

BoyceKRP t1_j78u5u5 wrote

The spokane roads looks so much denser than anything else.. is that really the case?

cautionturtle t1_j79q1yl wrote

Impressed with northeastern Washington, but deeply unimpressed with western Washington lol. All of the San Juans are broken.

anti-zastava t1_j79s6cf wrote

My middle school teacher told me that the Incas built roads as well. Advanced societies, build roads. Thought I’d share that for some reason.

Perenially_behind t1_j7ddtw1 wrote

A few years ago the National Museum of the American Indian in DC had an exhibit on the Incas. It described their economy, political organization, and transport network as well as their culture. It had a full size model of a section of rope bridge. Pretty cool stuff.

Definitely an advanced society.

anti-zastava t1_j7dejyg wrote

It’s interesting man. The things we remember. The things we know about people that existed thousands of years ago.

Teemrap t1_j7a6m26 wrote

it would be so cool to have a poster of wa like this

Eaton_snatch t1_j7biz87 wrote

"I'll turn this car around right now!"

rocketpianoman t1_j7ca112 wrote

Some of those roads out in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Washington are a real interesting drive.

thecatsofwar t1_j796it7 wrote

More of those should be turned into freeways.

−5