Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Anaxamenes t1_jd4xbxl wrote

Part of the problem is it’s still schedule 1 at the federal levels. Any business that accepts money from the federal government has to test for it. So healthcare is a big one because almost all of them take Medicare reimbursement. It’s not that simple because of its schedule 1 classification.

WomenAreFemaleWhat t1_jd52q43 wrote

This is not entirely true. My last job had federal contracts. They were drug testing for incidents until they had a tech get fired. She tested positive after she was drug tested when another employee poked her with a dirty needle. They were already hemorrhaging employees because it was a shitty place so they decided to stop.

Per the 1988 DFWA they are required to have a drug free workplace policy for companies for a contract of 100k or more. However, it does not require testing. Employers would love for you to think that because they may get benefits as far as insurance is concerned but they are not required to drug test. My friend was working at Microsoft and had to quit smoking weed because he was going to work on a federal project. Some places have more lax requirements or may test for it less if the employee has nothing to do with the contract. Its possible specific contracts may have such a provision but it isn't a matter of law, or in every federal contract. The feds leave enforcement up to individual companies.

Anaxamenes t1_jd6kyga wrote

We only test at the beginning or if there is an accident/injury. Every other hospital I know does as well. It could be out of an abundance of caution, but Medicare is big business.

DeadpanWords t1_jd67otw wrote

I haven't been drug tested at the major hospital chain I worked for, and I'm a nurse. They were certainly getting federal money.

Toolazytocreate t1_jd7cqhz wrote

We can’t afford to lose you. That’s the honest truth.

DeadpanWords t1_jd8nzzy wrote

More like they can't find too many people who want to work for them and their turn-over rate is increasing.

Anaxamenes t1_jd6kn48 wrote

Not even when you were hired?

Notexactlyprimetime t1_jd72fg2 wrote

UW system does not drug test nurses. VM didn’t, maybe they do now that they are owned by CHI. Island Health RN contract has explicit language bargained in that forbids pre employment and routine drug testing. But no Medicare has nothing to do with if healthcare companies drug test. It’s all individual policy.

Anaxamenes t1_jd86zet wrote

But the policy is likely because of Medicare. I talked with the head of our Human Resources department about it specifically and it’s because we accept federal funds as a hospital. Now the place I work is in Oregon and I haven’t looked into OHAs stance on the matter but would assume it follows Oregon laws regarding marijuana.

Notexactlyprimetime t1_jd8nkg7 wrote

I get your theory there but it just doesn’t pan out in practice. There are many healthcare networks that don’t test nurses and they all contract with Medicare and CMS. It seems the test or not to test is purely due to organizational preference.

Expensive-Recipe-345 t1_jd6fa83 wrote

Not totally accurate. I work in healthcare and my entire hospital system does not test. We get Fed money for all kinds of stuff.

Anaxamenes t1_jd6ki09 wrote

Not even when hired? We test at the beginning to show we do it and then only again if there is an accident/injury.

Expensive-Recipe-345 t1_jd6lki8 wrote

Nope. Nurses Union and Doctors Union oppose it and testing never seems to come up.

Anaxamenes t1_jd8777h wrote

That’s crazy. I just had this discussion with our director of Human Resources and it’s because we accept federal funding. Perhaps it’s our abundance of caution but everyone in the room knows it may be causing additional strain on finding good employees.

strangehitman22 t1_jd5wi9q wrote

Yep, I work at a telecommunications company that takes federal funding, we can't smoke weed deposite it being legal on the state level

Anaxamenes t1_jd6krdg wrote

It’s weird they won’t let you if it’s a non-safety related position. Most places now where it’s legal know they won’t have as many good candidates if they continually test.

strangehitman22 t1_jd7jo6q wrote

Probably is a safety thing, we sometimes operate heavy machinery

Anaxamenes t1_jd86mqn wrote

That’s it then, more safety related positions will them and require people not partake.