Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

playfulmessenger t1_izhm398 wrote

Goodie. American sleeper cells. Iran and Russia will be so proud of them. America sees your treason and raises you life in prison. Stop arming deranged people they need therapy.

ThurstonHowell3rd t1_izh2exs wrote

You wouldn't even need a lot of guns to cause a big problem either.

Wall Street Journal - U.S. Risks National Blackout From Small-Scale Attack

FTA:

A small number of the country's substations play an outsize role in keeping power flowing across large regions. The FERC analysis indicates that knocking out nine of those key substations could plunge the country into darkness for weeks, if not months.

FrontButtPunt t1_izh7mrf wrote

Friendly reminder, if you're sane and not trying to meet an FBI agent, it's best not to go searching for the locations of these substations right now.

CaspinLange t1_izhw5nf wrote

The Trump-lickers trying to take the country down cuz they simply can’t get their way.

Winter-eyed t1_izj0qk1 wrote

Why do I have a nagging suspicion that alt right groups are tangled up in this, perhaps testing security for their next act of stupidity as they seek another civil war?

pala4833 t1_izjzqbn wrote

It's way more than a suspicion, friend.

iamlucky13 t1_izjfne6 wrote

I think that a politically motivated group trying to disrupt our grid is a possibility that has to be considered. After all, the article does cite the case of three men recently convicted for just that.

But the article describes a variety of different attacks, and it's not clear to me all of them are planned with political motivations. It seems just as likely that some of them could be unrelated acts of vandalism from the same types of people who shoot up road signs or start fires for fun. And metal theft is another possible motive for the cases described as using hand tools and chains.

Omerta1911 t1_izgfkxf wrote

This reads to me as making news where there isn't any. WA/OR substations were more likely damaged by scrappers/gronks.

−99

Lannindar t1_izgtxp5 wrote

Yes, firearms are very often used by scrappers in this situation. Also, no correlation to the recent events elsewhere in the country that are extremely similar /s

Omerta1911 t1_izhcrhf wrote

>“In recent attacks criminal actors bypassed security fences by cutting the fence links, lighting nearby fires, shooting equipment from a distance or throwing objects over the fence and onto equipment,” the memo continued.

Yes, this sounds like a sophisticated coordinated effort.

−28

el_DOOM t1_izhishl wrote

Wouldn't you want a sophisticated and coordinated attack to go under the radar though? Go read a copy of Guerrilla Warfare by Che Guevara. Attacking the electrical gridin haphazard ways is basically step 2 after propagandizing enough people. It's literally as basic as it gets.

thesequimkid t1_izguqsh wrote

Hell, Port Angeles lost power because of a fucking seagull. A seagull!

−11

tetranordeh t1_izgypfj wrote

But did the seagull use a gun? If not, that power outage isn't comparable to this.

IamPlantHead t1_izh42l7 wrote

Ha… I remember reading about that!

thesequimkid t1_izh4jeo wrote

Yeah. I remember hearing Port Angeles was without power while I away doing my job for the day. Then one my my friends sister posted the local news article about the seagull causing it. But if a seagull can cause a city to lose power, then well… we’re fucked if anything else causes it.

−2

CressiDuh1152 t1_izhtiqw wrote

There's also been a salmon dropped by an eagle that caused a large outage... Eagle was trying to get his salmon back when they got on site.

biggerwanker t1_izh61a7 wrote

They don't need to be attacked, we lose power the moment someone farts near the substation.

−12