Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

diarrheainthehottub t1_izv7kbm wrote

Hot cocoa or hot cider?

EmuWasabi t1_izvywh7 wrote

If you stop in sometime, visit Plain Hardware! It is a real gem. Combo dry goods, housewares, hardware, and coffee/hot chocolate!

Skatykats t1_izwl429 wrote

I once stopped there and always regret not getting a great shirt that said “bears eat people in plain, WA”

pesto_changeo t1_izvl9wt wrote

Lived in WA my whole life and never heard of Plain. Where is it?

Norwester77 t1_izvm5xf wrote

Chelan County, north of Leavenworth.

steamedfarts t1_izw30d6 wrote

…I still don’t know where that is.

−24

cannacanna t1_izw6jse wrote

You've lived in WA your whole life and can't picture where "north of Leavenworth" is?

Truly bizarre .

scillaren t1_izxcyeq wrote

I’ve met a ton of WA natives that have never seen anything of WA across the Cascades except the I-90 corridor. Maybe Lake Chelan.

I was talking to a very outdoorsy guy that grew up in Snohomish Co; mentioned Palouse Falls, he had never heard of them.

cannacanna t1_izyo3le wrote

Sure but Palouse Falls is much more obscure than Leavenworth for someone living their entire life in Washington. Not knowing Leavenworth is like having no idea where Port Angeles, Bellingham or Yakima are. It's an astounding level of ignorance

Norwester77 t1_izw3tic wrote

47.760748, -120.659181 or so.

It’s an extremely tiny unincorporated settlement.

G_Momma1987 t1_izvm7do wrote

I just looked it up. It's a little bit north of Leavenworth.

hamellr t1_izvnroc wrote

Glad I wasn’t the only one, and I like visiting small towns

aagusgus t1_izvydi5 wrote

Just East of Lake Wenatchee, it's not an actual incorporated city/town. It's a pretty neat little area though.

pesto_changeo t1_izvz047 wrote

I love that area! I grew up in Eburg, and I have always loved the Blewett Pass / Wenatchee River stretch of hwy 97 and hwy2

H2Bro_69 t1_izypmxt wrote

It is on chumstick highway off of highway 207 off of highway 2. You can also go due north on chumstick highway from Leavenworth. It’s a cute little town that has cross-country skiing at the Plain Valley Ski Trails as its main attraction in the winter.

mommaletitbe t1_izvb132 wrote

Wood stove blazing?

t-town-tony t1_izvfs1c wrote

What kind of vehicle/accessories do you need to get in and out of a place like that?!

[deleted] t1_izvmyh9 wrote

We drove to Lake Wenatchee during a winter day and the road was cleared to the state park - in case you want to visit the area. No problem over the pass that day and night. We had a minivan and no chains. I would assume you would need chains to visit Plain even via 207, but from Leavenworth, sketchy over that ridge.

DriedUpSquid OP t1_izvlcoc wrote

Everyone there seemed to have a plow of some sort.

St_Kevin_ t1_izw9c1h wrote

Usually any car will do, as long as the road gets plowed, although some vehicles handle better than others in deep snow. You may have to dig your vehicle and driveway out with a shovel, but generally the county and state roads get plowed reliably and you can just drive a normal car on them. People use snow shovels, snowblowers, tractors, or hire private plow trucks to clear their driveways. Chains are nice to have for driving during storms or on ice or on snow covered pavement, but might not be necessary depending on the vehicle and tires.

Source: I live in rural Okanogan county, I think there’s been around 55” of snow at my house so far this season.

Daemmerung t1_izvrxyz wrote

I sincerely miss this shit, but it is also why we are snowbirds in 2022. Maybe what I miss is being young enough to enjoy it.

A couple of hundred years ago, the locals all got the hell out by now. I think that they knew what they were doing.

Urzlap t1_izwca79 wrote

I used to have a cabin in plain, super fun when you gotta take snow mobiles out to the little store at the bottom of the hill

Generalbuttnaked69 t1_izxdhxu wrote

Welcome to NCW. At least it was nice and light, easy to snowblow.

RippingLegos t1_izvref7 wrote

Love it, we had nearly a foot here!

IamPlantHead t1_izvyx9z wrote

Love this area! Such a beautiful picture.

OneTrip7662 t1_izvypdr wrote

It snows in the winter in the mountains???!!! I call bs

Coppermill_98516 t1_izxvlgl wrote

Plain is one of my favorite places to stay. I regret not buying a place there when I could’ve afforded it (5+ years ago).

j_nemesis105 t1_izy2647 wrote

I rented a cabin in Plain back in late Sept. (2021) right on the river. Loved it! 1st time I've been to that part of WA and 1st time traveling on Hwy. 2 and Steven's Pass. We live in Clark County and have EZ access to another beautiful part of the state, the Columbia River Gorge.

Thanks for sharing.

Rainyx420 t1_izyh62z wrote

I'm surprised as someone who lives in FL and has done quite a bit of research on WA and online it says it doesn't snow too much, is this common?

H2Bro_69 t1_izyqtu8 wrote

West of the cascade mountains, you get very little snow if any, but in the eastern foothills of the cascades where Plain is, a lot of snow is normal. There are a lot of climates in WA, it definitely varies by region.

zh3nya t1_izyuvu8 wrote

The Cascade Mountains in Washington are consistently the snowiest places in the country, at least where officially measured. Mount Baker ski area holds the world record for highest recorded snowfall for a season. Stevens Pass, the nearest ski resort to Plain, averages 460 inches of snow per year. It is true that it snows very little in the cities along Puget Sound where most people live as warmer air off the ocean moderates temperatures. But even close the Ocean there are glaciers in the Olympic Mountains.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snowiest_places_in_the_United_States_by_state

washdot t1_izxh64f wrote

Was that at the Petit’s rentals? Eastern WA is getting all the snow they didn’t get last year!

Idratherhikeout t1_izy2zmq wrote

we got a ton of snow over past two weeks here

[deleted] t1_izzhhc5 wrote

So pretty. Wish the puget sound had that kind of snowfall ❄️