Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

westmaxia OP t1_j4a2ef3 wrote

Wsdot has an office in that area and they have posted me there

BareLeggedCook t1_j4c08kb wrote

I work for the state, they are pretty good employers! That area is nice, a bit rainy though.

Interestmoneymaker t1_j4cdv64 wrote

Question , I am hoping to work with the state.. any idea how to start and find a job. It's been very hard lately. I finished computer science and have over ten years experience.

Ottoman_American t1_j4cf4jh wrote

Check: careers.wa.gov

Interestmoneymaker t1_j4cgf0w wrote

Do you know how long is the interview process?

BareLeggedCook t1_j4ciyln wrote

Really depends on the job. I know there are a lot of entry positions open with a lot of departments right now and they are pretty eager to hire.

I only had one interview. Went pretty smoothly!

Ottoman_American t1_j4cho7f wrote

I would imagine it depends on the position and agency. For my current job I had only one interview and I think after the offer was made I had to send some paperwork and get a drug test. After that I asked for a couple weeks as I was moving from Texas to here. Not a bad process.

Bamcfp t1_j4db7yr wrote

The access drivers are always desperate for help. Probably because of their ridiculous on call schedule.

TVDinner360 t1_j4cx2tf wrote

That’s awesome! Congrats! It might be useful to know that relative to other parts of the country, I guess we don’t have a super friendly culture. We’re pretty self contained, in general. If it’s hard to make friends, it’s probably not personal. It’s called the “cascade freeze.”

Port Orchard is pretty white. If you’d feel more comfortable with more diverse neighbors, Tacoma or many other parts of the Puget Sound region are the place to start. I’ll let others weigh in on the commute to Port Orchard.

However! WSDOT is super telework friendly, if you’re getting an office job. Plus there are lots of openings around the state as the boomers retire, so once you have your foot in the door you might be able to transfer to another position that’s in another part of Washington, if Port Orchard doesn’t turn out to be your jam.

Welcome! And good luck at WSDOT! I have several friends who work there, and they really like it.