Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NativeMasshole t1_j71hh31 wrote

Too little, too late. Rents have already spiked beyond what the labor class can afford, and they're not going back down without more radical action. I believe building out public housing would be the only way to truly get things back under control. Of course, I also don't trust our government to build anything decent nor keep it funded enough for it to not turn into a nightmare eventually.

outb0undflight t1_j723hsv wrote

Would have been smart to introduce inclusionary zoning before they approved a bunch of market rate units. Instead they greenlit a bunch of developments then started talking about it.

NativeMasshole t1_j724h7m wrote

Yup. Either way, the market isn't going back down, so the only 2 realistic options for those getting priced out in Worcester would be to continue raising minimum wage and to directly invest in low income housing. We're never going to catch up to demand enough to stop the market from going up here, and we need housing for low income workers now.

GoblinBags t1_j72dwrf wrote

I mean... No, it is not too late. Yes, things are bad now but the point is about preventing it from getting worse, right? And I think it's supposed to get worse.