Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pjk922 t1_j8rz40b wrote

As a former Worcester college student, all the engineering jobs relevant to me are clustered around Boston. No way I’m sitting in traffic on the pike, even if rent is a bit cheaper. I’d love to live in Worcester, and I miss the huge number of nature trails and paths, but it just isn’t feasible

SmartassRemarks t1_j8s4mcz wrote

Same here. Worcester has practically no good engineering jobs. But even beyond engineering, Worcester has very few good jobs of any type for young people at growing, dynamic companies.

Educational-List8475 t1_j8slez0 wrote

This is exactly the issue. We have all these biotech companies (not as much as Boston) in worcester and the surrounding towns, but they either aren’t hiring ever, or they hire for crap pay and benefits. I don’t see it changing much for engineers and scientists. Nurses though, make a killing

Liqmadique t1_j8slx4j wrote

Bingo. Worcester needs to figure out how to attract high paying jobs to it rather than watching all the jobs end up in Boston.

Arguably, the state should help with this through incentives but it doesn't.

2smartt t1_j8ubajy wrote

The state only cares about the boston metro

Educational-List8475 t1_j8sm6kv wrote

Agreed. I’ve been looking for a job in worcester for 5 years, and the only way I can one is if I take a huge pay cut.

crando_beandip t1_j8t3z72 wrote

We're going to need a truly working airport for that. It's been great to see ORH coming back to life, but will need far more flight selection and amenities there in order to bring business people quickly in and out of town.

New_Serve6270 t1_j9rqu3z wrote

They've been saying that for at least 30 years. Worcester is bostons poor ugly cousin. Sorry, I'm jaded

BlasterManX t1_j8vo65k wrote

As a former Worcester college student, I moved back home (small town in MA) during COVID for the job hunt. Once I got a good job in my industry, I've been able to work remotely and just can't justify the higher rent to live in a city when I don't need to.