Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Flat_Construction395 t1_jckhmgh wrote

Landlord here. I rent to family/friends at much below market rate because I'd rather have tenants there that I can trust than try to maximize profits. Haven't raised rents since I bought the property a few years ago.

As much as the housing market has gone insane the last few years, the increase in Worcester property taxes is a significant driver in landlords upping rent. My property taxes increased 33% over the course of 3 years. City officials love to brag about lowing the per thousand tax rate, but at the same time they've jacked up their assessments which has significantly increased homeowners property taxes.

iterable t1_jcv3zzf wrote

But Worcester had to have s stadium that no one at least I know cares about. I doubt home owners even showed up to the city council meeting to debate the cost. But in the end the renters take the hit due to apathy in local politics. I also heard a rumor that it may get a lot worse. Seeing a number of city employees leaving before the news drops.

jbcg t1_jckybh3 wrote

Our assessment increase this year was like +40K on a 1300 sf condo, this compounded for multiple units would be very painful. Yiiiiikes!