Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Fair_Manner_316 t1_irril58 wrote

That's Entertainment is the obvious choice in Worcester. There's also Wonderland Comics in Putnam, CT if you don't mind taking a drive!

HelloMalt t1_irrmzfz wrote

that's entertainment is awesome and they've got the friendliest staff around

HuggySnuggle t1_iryrsyi wrote

Seriously, they're the friendliest comic shop around. If you're not an asshole they'll let you read the titles all day long.

NativeSon508 t1_irx9qxp wrote

Really can’t say enough about the staff. It as if they enjoy working there. Tons of smiles and positivity.

Horknut1 t1_irtcd4c wrote

That’s E also has illustrators come in to talk with fans and sign autographs too.

fremenator t1_irs1mwk wrote

I know it's not what you asked but growing up I was super surprised to find the public library had amazing manga/comic collections and that formed the basis of what I was into. Definitely recommend checking out those collections too especially if they have it in YA and adult, you can help curate what she's reading in the adult section, I bet most of it would be teen appropriate (I forget how WPL graphic novel section organized it).

Neil94403 OP t1_irspv68 wrote

Thank you very much! That’s entertainment was the perfect choice and you’re right the staff is wonderful

_life_is_a_joke_ t1_irromwn wrote

Otaku Sekai in the Auburn mall, anime merch/gaming, they also have a lounge for movies, Japanese snacks, and books. You might see folks in cosplay.

That's Entertainment has a good sized manga selection, but they have their hands in every collectibles market, so space is their limiting factor- US comic books take up half of the space and the selection is fantastic. It's one of the coolest shops in Central Mass, if not THE coolest. It's a must visit.

Great Stories in Whitinsville has some anime/manga merch and some of the best prices on back issues. Great selection of newer comics, tons of games. I go here a lot, nicest people, clean store, well organized.

The Green Dragon in Rhode Island. Absolute gem. Worth the drive, especially this time of year.

Superworld Comics, out towards Holden. I've never been.

Crazy4Comics, in Northborough, mostly US comics, prices are hit or miss, not exactly organized. Big selection for a small shop. Expect to dig thru bins and stacks, then haggle. Very old school experience, geared towards the fervent collector that loves the hunt.

Hall of Comics in Westborough, the exact opposite of Crazy4Comics. Well organized, modern, good prices, friendly staff, almost exclusively filled with back issues. They have the largest selection of investment quality, graded/slabbed comics in the area. There's some legendary stuff in there. Like a museum but everything is for sale. Almost exclusively US comics- I don't remember seeing any manga.

Anime Zakka in Boston too, but it's a drive. I've never been.

1x9x1x7 t1_irrslnu wrote

Anime Zakka is a trip but easy enough to get to on the train. Get off the train at Back Bay or Lansdowne and walk over. If you get off at Lansdowne you could also go check out Comicopia, there’s a pretty good manga and indie comic selection there.

moisheah t1_irrxyuo wrote

Library ? Also has comic /anime programs for kids iirc.

redbicycleblues t1_irudggu wrote

Everyone has already covered that’s e! But also artifakt supply In tatnuck square does comic book illustration classes. You can follow them on Instagram for those details.

Also the worcester art museum offers similar classes. Worth looking into.

RC1172 t1_irt90vo wrote

That’s Entertainment is the only place I know of actually in Worcester. If you’re open to something in Worcester area, check out Hall of Comics in Westborough. I don’t read regularly anymore but I like to pick up a stack of books if I’m going away and expect to have time to read. Every time I e gone in the staff has been super friendly.

heckyeahcoolbeans t1_irueiyt wrote

Also maybe have her sign up for an illustration class! Sometimes the art museum and other places around town have classes you can take that are for drawing comics, illustrating, and such.

kionee t1_irvjzwy wrote

Might also want to consider take her into Boston next weekend for https://www.micexpo.org/ - The Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo.

I plan on taking my son, who also is very artistically inclined. My co-worker has been before and says it's great.

Neil94403 OP t1_irxdbv3 wrote

Thanks for the pointer. I took a quick look at the agenda and it looks like a lot of content for independent contractors (taxes, marketing). Do you also see some programming for novices?

kionee t1_irxhxt0 wrote

They have workshops for all ages and skill levels. Demonstrations, panels, etc according to the poster. It's free admission too!