Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bartnd t1_ituo65s wrote

I wouldn't say that the Worcester PD has remained completely silent; they did state that they don't believe there's a threat to the public.

It is odd that there isn't much mention of the Wawecus Rd shooting, though I wouldn't expect much from the WPS aside from acknowledging it as it happened well outside of school hours.

The thing that I found most odd was the focus on QCC locking down and barely anything about Burncoat Prep which is closer to the original shooting. The telegram article was updated to mention that they were also locked down, but still the focus was on QCC. That's where I'd have expected some recognition by the WPS.

doublesecretprobatio t1_itur55m wrote

this may have been a conscious decision as to not alarm the entire school system about an unrelated, isolated incident where precautions were being taken only out of an abundance of caution.

7NerdAlert7 OP t1_itusaxs wrote

You will always have that type of silence being put up against the rumor mill of the neighborhood Facebook pages. Multiple people in the community heard the shots and saw the activity. Wouldn't it be best for some government entity (at this point I don't care who) release a simple statement to say this happened, We're on it, You can send your kids to school?

This helps to control the narrative as well as bolsters the trust between WPS/WPD and the community!

Radio silence only hurts them.

MattOLOLOL t1_iturwtc wrote

"No threat to the public," but there was another shooting in the same neighborhood within 24 hours. Next to an elementary school.

Yeah, sure. No threat at all.

doublesecretprobatio t1_itusqio wrote

> but there was another shooting in the same neighborhood within 24 hours

it was 2 miles away [supposedly].

legendofsteve t1_itwfata wrote

At 10PM.

Like, I'm not saying shootings are fine to happen but like, for public safety's sake that's a pretty good time.

New-Vegetable-1274 t1_iu2obe0 wrote

That's right, that it happened at 10 pm is irrelevant. I'm sure the shooter didn't care what time it was. Any shooting near a school is a threat.

tracynovick t1_itxp02z wrote

The communication on lockdowns from WPS (and it was a 'soft' lockdown) is done directly to parents (as it was in this case) rather than a public announcement.