Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

homeostasis3434 t1_j1kosp0 wrote

I agree the city needs investment in infrastructure but I think the sticking point is that to reduce the traffic issues, they'd have to redesign major portions of the city that were never built with cars in mind in the first place. We're talking 1950s Era urban renewal, razing large sections of the city...

So, we can say that the city shouldn't allow more density because of traffic issues, but the issue isn't actually that people are living in the city, the issue is that the city is an employment/education center people commute in and out on an everyday basis.

To me, it stands to reason that adding density near the employment centers won't impact the traffic issues the same way that building the same number of units outside the city, for people that will be driving to the city.

This apartment is walking distance to the employers downtown, Union Station, restaurants/entertainment, schools, medical centers (although notably no grocery store).

If the city is going to improve, I think they do need improved public transit, not prevent desperately needed housing.

Lots of cities around the country that are around the size of Worcester are investing in rapid bus transit, I think the city should really look into that option.

https://www.itdp.org/library/standards-and-guides/the-bus-rapid-transit-standard/what-is-brt/

AceOfTheSwords t1_j1l9mry wrote

How many of those nearby employers pay enough to live in one of these shiny new apartment complexes?

I suppose if they are former Boston residents that still work in Boston, it would be a convenient spot for using the commuter rail. So in that sense at least, they wouldn't be adding to commute traffic.

The structure of our current bus system isn't terrible, it primarily suffers from not hiring enough drivers. This is most noticeable with service being reduced on some Fridays, etc. Beyond just hiring enough to guarantee basic functionality, a hiring increase could extend hours of service and increase bus frequency (possibly alongside a one-time purchase of more buses). All of this could happen without reinventing our roads, and could be funded for years on what citywide BRT implementation would cost. There are a couple key spots where I agree BRT could be especially useful (Main St, Shrewsbury St) and maybe these could be implemented earlier, but for the most part I'd like to see these more basic improvements to our bus system first. If the city lacks the political will to do even that, then big projects like BRT are a pipedream.

Easy-Working-7 t1_j1ooyu5 wrote

28 Water st got filled with. Mostly people still working in Boston and barely have any parking so that may be the point

AceOfTheSwords t1_j1q7cgr wrote

In that case the apartment complex would be at best neutral in its impact on local infrastructure.