Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dupattaluella OP t1_j63364w wrote

Reply to comment by erwin_s in Electricity Bill Update by dupattaluella

I didn't know you could do that. Is this something I can get at Home Depot or Lowes?

erwin_s t1_j63mdn6 wrote

I am not sure if you can get them locally, I bought mine from Amazon.

Link here.

I am willing to bet that there are cheaper monitors out there. The one I use monitors all power in, but also every circuit. So when my bill is 300$, I can see the space heater cost me x$ and my laundry dryer cost me y$.

A handy person could install this themselves, but if you are not handy or don't have the time you would need an electrician. Think around 300$ for the best device and 1 hour of an electrician's time.

If you were to buy the simplest monitor (only main power), it is a bit cheaper and easier to install. Link here. So only around 90$ assuming you DIY.

I was CONVINCED there was a problem with my meter, which is why I bought the system. It turns out I just had some appliances that used WAY more than I expected, and I had some bad habits with turning things off.

I guess since I mentioned DIY, if you are not comfortable don't even try. Electricity is dangerous and no one wants to find your corpse in the basement next to the panel.

I could talk for days about the cost of electricity in this state. I grew up in PA, and we are paying 300% more than my friends back in Pittsburgh.

dupattaluella OP t1_j63os0o wrote

Thank you for all the info! Based on the new meter's readings over the last almost 48 hours, I do think we were being charged for WAY more than we used. I'm still going to talk to my husband about the sensor though. We might wait to see how the next full month with the new meter goes, but this could come in handy.