Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Surinical t1_irmjxdd wrote

"Ricky! Are you okay?" Tina slammed her keys down on the counter. "I'm so sorry I'm late. My alarm didn't go off."

"It's fine," Ricky rasped from behind the front register and a pile of empty bottles of sun block. "It was just a few minutes. It's good to see the sunrise actually. Feel like I haven't seen it in fifty years, working night shift I mean," he tacked on quickly. "I'll clean these up. They were all expired."

"Don't worry about it," Tina said, clocking in. Had he really worked here fifty years? He didn't look thirty. "Can you get home okay?"

"Well," Ricky said, pale skin already a little pink. "You know night blindness? I kinda have day blindness. Do you think I'd get in trouble if I just slept in the backroom cooler? I already rotated all the stock for the day, put away the order and cleaned the back so I shouldn't be in your way back there."

"Perfectly fine, Ricky. Sleep well."

He really thought he was hiding it, Tina thought to herself. Poor guy.

He hasn't lied, she realized. He really has managed to do all the extra day tasks for the gas station over the night shift. He worked like three people, maybe four. He'd stopped leaving dead raccoons in the back parking lot too. She wasn't getting rid of him anytime soon.

She looked up from the Clancy novel she picked off the shelf when the door chimed.

"Where's the safe, bitch!" a tall man asked, shaking an old revolver at her.

"It's on a time delay. I can't open it for two more hours!" she yelled, opening the register. There was ten dollars plus some ones. What dumbass robs a gas station right after shift change? She shook as she handed him the drawer.

"Bullshit," he said, throwing the register down. "Sure me the rest or." He waggled the gun in her face.

"Okay! I'll show you." Tina said, raising her hands as she stepped into the dark back. The tall man followed. The cooler sat there humming.

"It's in there," she said, pointing to the cooler before she fully decided to. "That's where we hide it."

She stepped aside to let him pass and scurried back to the front, door closing behind her.

"What the f-" she heard, followed by a rustling, then another sound she really didn't want to think about.

"Thank you," she whispered to the back after the sound stopped. She would have to get him a better setup than a cooler. Halloween was coming up, a coffin back there might be fun.

/r/surinical

Graoutchmeuh t1_irn0v0v wrote

No more dead raccoons is nice, but I'm not sure more dead humans is better.

sully9088 t1_irnr6a9 wrote

I like that he's only drinking animals dry (not too sure if he's going to town on the robber though). If he's trying to hide the fact that he's a vampire then he might come up with some hilarious excuse for destroying the robber. Haha.

codeki t1_irnrou8 wrote

"wow, he doesn't have a drop of blood left in him?"

"Wow, those anemia related heart attacks are killer. No idea how he made it here. . . "

sully9088 t1_iroji4c wrote

Lol! wipes blood from mouth "It uhh... It was dark... And... Uhh... I tripped on this poor guy and he just died. I mean... He was already dead when I tripped on him. He must've cut his neck wide open and bled to death somehow. The poor soul."

rain-blocker t1_irovqq2 wrote

"what's that? whe-where's all the blood? I uh... Don't really know what to tell you there."

u35828 t1_irpszl6 wrote

If a vampire consumed blood loaded with pharmaceuticals, would there be any side effects? That would make for an interesting writing prompt subject.

CandiBunnii t1_irq6s0q wrote

I'd think it could be similar to how breast milk loaded with pharmaceuticals may effect a baby... Not sure how close babies are to vampires though.

IndianaNetworkAdmin t1_irq7etk wrote

One is a parasite that manipulates and feeds on humans and the other counts numbers on Sesame Street.

Lalapaya t1_irqdcw1 wrote

I'm a mum and you literally made me lol. Thank you for this.

It's true though

Katiel_Silver t1_irq7quf wrote

A little less bloodlust, but otherwise not that far off. Both hiss at the sun and bite you when you least expect it.

corborb t1_irqh285 wrote

We drank the blood of some people but the people were on drugs and now I'm a wizard -confused vampire found wearing a traffic cone

chalkchick0 t1_irp7v0p wrote

If a vamp drinks just a small portion of your blood, and leaves you alive, the infection makes you their puppet. (See pretty much every vamp movie or book written before the nineties.) As humans have a lot more blood than racoons he may have just had a snack and the robber has been nullified.

The "corpse" may obediently become the store's mop person.

Keyoya t1_irqkta8 wrote

Eh most i know of only really ever effect you if they drink most/all of your blood and leave you alive, or drink theirs ect?

chalkchick0 t1_irqoosp wrote

My only claim to expertise comes from dozens of books I've read and movies I've watched so... What the heck, lets see how much I remember. (I'm sixty. I'm fine with corrections or nit picking. lol)

Lets start with the non infected voluntary servant, IE, the Renfield character type. Note, not PC by any means.

This servant of Drac is often/traditionally a son of a whore, born addled in mind/incurably mad due to maternal pox or other foul disease. Often portrayed as viciously abused as children. They are not hypnotized but come voluntarily to service. There are hints of an overpowering man crush (seldom addressed in early portrayal but fully actualized in more modern pieces,) idol worship, or strung along on promises of future reward. They both "run errands" and keep pests away from Drac's sleeping place by sheer dent of a ravenous appetite for the devouring of bugs and rats.

The Renfeild are not converted so they can run daylight errands.

My favorite portrayers of this character type are Michael Anthony Richards as Fejos and Arte Johnson as Renfield. I lump Martin Alan Feldman as Igor (Young Frankenstein) in here because, though not a Drac character, it runs in the same vein and is laughing and lovingly portrayed as such. As you can see, I like my horror tongue in cheek.

Then the hypnotized servants, often dormant until called. These often are not aware they are in service to a Drac.

Then you have the bitten, only partially drained but not fed bond. These are infected in a milder form and often require multiple bites and occasional boosts with hypnoses to maintain control. These are the meals on wheels of Dracs world. It's not delivery, it's Dracula's on call snacks.

Then the bitten, drained to the last heart beat, and fed a small amount of blood (Not necessarily Drac's, vampires do not make cells because they are dead. Their victims recycled blood?) from his veins. These are sometimes shown being fed from a small cut on a finger. These are fully bonded/infected but not converted. Children of the Night?

Then the converted lesser Drac, bitten, drained to the last heart beat, and fed directly from an artery, fully infected but not having equal powers.

Then, I think, full Drac, bitten, drained to the last drop, kept in a semblance of life only by the Dracs will, and fed directly from an artery, fully infected, and granted full powers. Sometimes these include a spell or ceremony to complete the change.

Often full Dracs are seen as violently territorial.

I will leave The Brides and Harams to someone else.

That was fun! TY. :D

SnooPuppers4858 t1_irqwz2q wrote

Wow! Terrifying and informative!

chalkchick0 t1_irqxcbo wrote

SO read the comment, looked at me funny, and asked if my sleeping during the day and knowing too much about vampires were connected. lol

I left out that only the last three traditionally crave blood and are severely light sensitive.

Hmmm. Think I might go out in the day tomorrow... Just to double check. :p

Daniel_H212 t1_irnxr2h wrote

Eh maybe he just knocked the guy out we don't know he killed the dude.

Chromabbr t1_irmogki wrote

Two coffins, one with beer for the Halloween parties and one for him.

superanth t1_irosirx wrote

Nice. Very, very nice. Did she say he didn't look 30 because she somehow knew he'd been a vampire for 80 years?

safetyinstars t1_irp57lb wrote

I think it was a partial aside. She was marveling that he could have been working for 50 years when he didn't even look 30 years old.

argalt345 t1_irqmyv2 wrote

Would legit love a few short stories about the adventures of tina and rick in the gasstation xD