Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chacham2 t1_j4lkasy wrote

"And here's our newest member. He made it past the three trials showing his loyalty, and is now ready to take the test, to prove he can join us."

That was my queue. I walked up to the podium to start my initiation, trembling like a leaf. "Members of the council, i wish to join."

The council stared me up and down. They had all seen my file and knew today was the day, but they just wanted to act as if i came out of the blue. After some murmurs: What is your name?

I didn't see who asked it, but, i had to answer quickly. "Marsokan".

"Marsokan?" Some members laughed. "What do you wish to do to show you are truly a super villain?"

I saw it that time. The Elemental Queen was asking me the questions. That's perfect, she is exactly whom i wish to impress. She's been my idol for many years now.

"I am going to infiltrate the Super Hero Society."

"And how will that prove anything? You're an unknown, especially to real super heroes, and just need to act good for a while."

The others agreed with her, and she herself had a bit of disgust on her face.

I coughed, both nervously, and to act as if she had cut me off. "I am going to infiltrate the Super Hero Society and delete all the files they have on you in their famed master computer."

That got their attention. Nobody gets near the computer, even most the heroes. Having access to do anything, well, purportedly, only The Parrot has that.

"That would be impressive, and far beyond what you would need to do to join our society. Are you really trying to impress us?"

"Actually, i am trying to impress you."

The queen smiled while the others made some fun.

"So be it. You have your task, and must complete it in one month, or die."

The meeting was over. My reception was mixed. I heard the words: Bold, idiot, show off, prankster, young. And off i went.

I immediately applied to the Super Hero society, and they gave me the usual, "You have to be a proven hero with medals and affidavits to even apply. Please come back after you have achieved more." I hated those wods. I had heard them so many times since i was a kid, trying endlessly to join. No matter what i did, i never got recognized, and i tried charity, disaster relief, stopping small time villains (all the big time one get assigned, and you do not want to get in a super hero's way), and got awards. I even protected Speedster's house once when he was off on a mission, but he didn't even thank me, making it sounds as if i owed him the thanks. I hate them those stuck up brats!

But this time i was prepared. With my mild mental skills, i was able to convince the clerk to sign my application. It went into the small pile behind her. Step 1 was complete.

Step 2 is getting two supers to sign off on my sheet. It's nigh impossible to even get their attention, but i had to do it. I started with Speedster, thanking him for letting me save his house those years ago. It was humiliating bowing before that jerk, and he didn't remember me at all, but i lavished on the praises. I then asked him if i could have the honor of helping him some more, doing menial tasks, or better yet, coming on a mission. He looked at me with disdain and laughed at me.

"Could i at least get you're autograph?"

"Sure kid."

I used my powers to fog his mind ever so slightly, so that when he signed, he didn't realize he was actually signing my petition to join the league. I thanked him profusely and went off to The Brute. He was much easier to manipulate, and i brought him lots of food. He didn't even look at what he was signing when i asked for the signature. And back i went to the clerk.

The clerk looked down his nose at me. "Listen kid, you just used the two easiest members. If i walk into the council meeting on Tuesday with this application, i'll be laughed out of the room, and my job might be in jeopardy."

He started walking toward the nearby trash. I couldn't manipulate him when his mind was made up like this. Instead, i hid, and having thought i left, he went back to business. I stayed until after closing, took my application out of the garbage, stamped it with his stamp, and put it in the council room before leaving undetected. Steps 1-3 in one day isn't too shabby.

Now came the hard part. To join, i had to get most of the council's 67 members to vote yes, and i had exactly one day to do it. I was nervous, but my plan was working perfectly.

The next day, the supers were showing up to a charity event. Having this be the day before the meeting is what made my plan possible. All the heroes would be there, be in a good mood, and if past performance holds true, show off. That's when my super power would come into play.

First came Octopus Man. He got dirty while dragging a train in front of everyone. When he finished, he was filthy, and so i offered to clean his clothes. He allowed me to touch his sleeve, at which point i manipulated the cloth the squeeze out the mud. He had no idea what i did, but was impressed with the results. I told him it would be a great honor if he ever called upon me again. He smiled, and i left. Miracle Woman was next, and she proved just as easy. After the fifth cleaning, all the others had already heard of me and all asked for my service. Perfect. Things were going better than planned.

The following day, i waited in the lobby for the the council meeting to start. There were plenty of people there, hoping to catch yet another glimpse of heir favorite hero. After the meeting started, one of the supers came ut to the clerk, asked him who Marsokan was, and why he didn't hand deliver the application as usual. The clerk was dumbfounded, but i stood up immediately, "that's me sir!"

"You, the dry cleaner, want to join us?!"

"Please sir," i said in a respectful tone, "you are my idol. I want to join to help everyone look their best."

He laughed, but led me into the council room anyway.

"Marsokan, the the dry cleaner wants to join us." He announced.

Everyone laughed. I was used to it by now. I laughed too. They were now manipulatable, due to their light spirits. Luckily, The Parrot was not in the room. I was banking on that. And so i started to manipulate everyone else ever so slightly as i made my case to clean their clothes so they look their best at all times. And it worked. I even got 60 yeas!

The Turquoise Prophet announced my membership. "You are now officially a junior member of the Super Hero Council. Go fetch me a coffee."

chacham2 t1_j4mz9ez wrote

It's been a few days at the hero society and nobody takes me seriously enough to take me on a mission. They nicknamed me "The Dry Cleaner" and usually use me as a gopher and quick launderer. Even the clerk likes me now. Not only am i doing things he gets asked to do, he himself asks me for favors too.

If i was trying to become a real super hero, that would be a bad thing. But i'm not. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of the office. People need to see me and like me, and expect me all over the place, especially near the famed computer, which i haven't located yet. Only The Parrot is wary of me. But everyone just tells me that's how he is to everyone.

--

Over the weekend, The Parrot saw me walking around and asked me why i was working then. Didn't i have a life? He actually called me Marsokan, my official title. I respect him already.

Putting on my best face, "i'm just so excited to be here, i'm still taking it all in."

"Cut the trash, please. Why are you here?"

His eyes felt like they were piercing into my soul. I couldn't lie. "I wanted to see the computer. It's been my dream since i was a kid." That was the truth, even if not the whole truth.

He smirked and turned away. Then, stopped suddenly, turned back, and asked me to clean his suit. I tried and failed. "This is organic?"

"Yes. They're real parrot feathers. Oh well." And he walked away.

Like every super, i have a major and minor power. My minor power is mind manipulation, sort of like the Jedi mind trick. I can't fool anyone who is paying attention. It just makes whatever i am selling seem better, perhaps giving them a disposition to liking it. My major power is matter manipulation. It's has to be non-organic and it only lasts for a few moments. I clean materials by causing them to separate from the dirt, so when it reverts, the dirt is simply not there any more. If the Parrot spoke to me, he's building a file on me. That was a test.

I spent the rest of the weekend, rather, a few hours each day, cleaning stains all over the walls and desks. The following week, it was well received. That's great. Because now i have to move past their respect, and gain their confidence as well.

With the weekend over, i concentrated on helping people more, under the guise of trying to convince them to take me along on a mission. It was becoming a joke, when they would put The Dry Cleaner on the roster, only to tell me to stay there and wait to clean their clothes and vehicles when they got back. Slowly, though, they would tell me where they were heading and what they were doing, and by the end of the week, they were discussing things with me.

Overall, i learnt a few things that week. All the heroes, save The Parrot, are class A jerks. I mean, they give no respect to anybody except each other. And even then there are cliques. They'll take any job as long as it fits their image and they think they can win, otherwise they will make up an excuse. And then there's the side jobs. The Rhyming Wizard let it slip that he takes side job to pay the bills, and its best the public does not know about that.

I used to worship the Super Hero Society when i was a kid. I began to hate them when i saw how they acted elite, but i still though they were cool. Not any more. These guys and gals are more corrupt then the people they are protecting.

In the third week, the Parrot called me over and asked me to clean the computer. He explained he was doing an experiment and spilled some oil on the console. It would be easier to have me around to clean it then to take the whole thing apart.

This was an obvious trick or test of some sort. What was he up to? I didn't have time to think it through before he led me into the room, going through all sorts of doors and security measures. I finally laid eyes on it. It was instantly recognizable from when it showed in the news. It, the room, all was perfect. He got me to work right away, advising me to be careful. In the middle though, he got an emergency call and went off. On the way out the door though, "don't touch anything until i get back."

I reminded myself this was obviously a setup. This was too much, too quick, too convenient. And so, i sat down while waiting for him. I fell asleep, and dreamt about using the computer and finding the files on the Elemental Queen. When i woke up, The Parrot asked me why i wanted to see those files. He read my mind?! I was scared. "She's evil, i know, but really, really beautiful." I always spoke the truth to The Parrot. Purportedly, his minor power is detecting lies. I'm pretty sure he smiled, so i continued. "Do..do you have any pictures of her?" He shook his head and had me finish the cleaning.

chacham2 t1_j4q582z wrote

After i finished, i looked at The Parrot longingly. "Please?" I had to play it up as this might be my only chance. He looked at me, almost laughing like one does when pitying a child. "Or, at least let me see the computer in action. That would fulfill a childhood dream to be in the room while it was working." I went on and on, never lying, just not giving the complete truth, trying to act like a fanboy and child. His usual demeanor broke every now and then, betrayed by a small laugh or smirk. And at each time, i let my minor power help influence his decision. He was clearly of a strong mind almost all the time, but seeing me let my inner child run got him slightly off guard.

After a few minutes, he gave in, and said he would show me my file, if i would correct any wrong information. I agreed, and he logged in. I was bubbling with excitement, both fulfilling a childhood dream--silly as it was--and also at the opportunity. I started repeating what the narrator would say when the clip rolled on television, and was just happy overall. It's really hard to explain how i felt just then.

Finally, he pulled up my file and i was impressed. There were some decent photos of me, my government identification, address, schools i attended, and places where i worked in the summer. He also had my major power filled in, but for my minor power it simply read "charisma?". Everything else listed was correct.

"Wow, you have all of that on me already? I thought i was one of the good guys?"

"When collected information, keep everything. You never know when it might come in handy."

"You think my minor power is charisma?"

"Is it?" he glared at me.

I then explained to him what it was as best i knew.

"Figures. May i assume you used it on me just now to get me to show you your file."

"...to see hers. I feel like i'd do anything for that."

He filled in the missing info and brought up her file. "There you go."

The Queen truly was stunning. There were a bunch of pictures of her, along with her history, and everything else i could want. I was scrolling through the file, not even realizing how close i was to the computer.

"Satisfied?"

"She's so beautiful."

"And she'd kill you without hesitation if you got in her way."

"You mean like Speedster?"

"He's smug, but no murderer."

"What about that time he ran through traffic and caused that killed 3, and hospitalized 25 more?"

"You don't see a difference?"

"Who's worse?"

Then came silence. He just stared at me. He got up to lead me out the door when i decided to seize the moment. I reached for the delete button when he grabbed my arm to stop me. I then manipulated his costume to grow and wrap around itself, hit the delete button and bolted for the wall. Having just a moment, i created a hole and ran through, much more easily then i thought. It was only a couple more hallways and doors before i made it out.

I eventually made it back to the League to report success. Nobody believed me. I was told to prove it and come back. Ugh. I didn't think this through. How in the world could i prove it?

The next day on the news, it was reported that due to a computer malfunction, they had to restore the Elemental Queen's file from backup. I went back to the League, beaming from ear to ear. She congratulated me herself, welcoming me as a junior member. "Well done, kid. You've got guts." She smiled and walked away. I was so happy. I impressed her.

About a week or so later, The Parrot showed up at my door asking me for some information on the League. I gave it to him. There was no way out. Besides, i owed it to him, even if he did play me from the beginning. I got everything i wanted.

Meganought t1_j4m2en5 wrote

Oh please continue, this is awesome

chacham2 t1_j4mzgrg wrote

Thank you for the compliment!

I just added a part two, which took way too long to write and yet it still isn't the best, unfortunately.

Meganought t1_j4n54zo wrote

Hey, it was great bud! Don't put yourself down

chacham2 t1_j4n5ktc wrote

Thank you for the compliment, again.

I wrote it too quickly and didn't develop it slowly enough. I don't like how it came out, because i know i could do better, if i gave it more time.

nevaleigh t1_j4numdk wrote

Loving it so far and it doesn’t seem rushed at all, hoping for a part 3

chacham2 t1_j4q5dzk wrote

Thank you for the compliment. I rushed out a continuation this morning after trying to figure out what to do. There were so many ways to go, but i wanted to end the story already, so this is what i came up with. I hope it is to your liking.

RavenousOwlhead OP t1_j4lntv1 wrote

Loving the mystery of the protagonist! Thanks for checking out my prompt!