Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KingZarkon t1_ivbs6ap wrote

From another comment I made, if your throttle is running wide open, then you lose engine vacuum. You have what's in the vacuum reservoir but that's it. Without regenerating it, you have enough to hit the brakes once, maybe twice with good power. After that, there's little chance a person could push the brake pedal hard enough to overcome the engine at full throttle. I suspect these tests have not taken that into consideration.

akmacmac t1_ivd9edv wrote

I disagree. Not all cars have vacuum operated brake boosters. Also there was a time when no car had a brake booster or power steering. You can still stop without a working brake assist, it just requires more force on the pedal, just like you can still steer without power steering.

l337hackzor t1_ivbw9c7 wrote

What about the e-brake? It's still just a cable brake.

KingZarkon t1_ivc2zbw wrote

It would stop the rear wheels but they would just lock up and end up dragging behind when you've got a fwd vehicle.

l337hackzor t1_ivc4u3m wrote

I figure that would at least cause the engine to stall?

It was front wheel drive cars that had the "stuck accelerator" issue wasn't it?

VertexBV t1_ivcptby wrote

I don't get the feeling the hand brake on my Civic is good for much more than parking. It takes quite a bit of force to achieve the same braking in motion you'd get with a light touch of the foot on the pedal.

l337hackzor t1_ivcv7mn wrote

You might be surprised. I suppose if the engine is applying force it probably won't do much but you can stop a car with it otherwise.

We had to do it in driving school. You want to gradually apply the brakes while holding down the button otherwise you can throw yourself into a skid.

smoozer t1_ivd5v1o wrote

It'll lock the wheels up if you activste it hard in any vehicle I've driven (up to ~2011)

Drone30389 t1_ivdih2w wrote

emergency/parking brakes are extremely weak compared to the regular brakes.