Submitted by ComprehensiveCut5248 t3_11dnj6i in baltimore

Looking for recommendations on bars you can bring a laptop to and work from! Not sure which bars have WiFi or are chill about posting up and working.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PoopIsAlwaysSunny t1_ja9qbd4 wrote

All of them. It is 2023. They all have wifi.

But where is best to work is up to you. Time of day, location, what kind of environment you want (do you want quiet coffee shop vibe like Artifact, big cafeteria like R House, or what?)

Which are chill about posting up and working? That depends on you. Order stuff and tip well. If tables fill up at all, leave so they have room for paying customers. They make money on flipping tables, so make sure you don’t sit at one all day without paying them for it. Besides that, they literally don’t give a fuck. They’re there to make money, and a quiet person on a laptop is just as fine as a fun group getting rowdy, if the pay is the same.

judicatorprime t1_ja9rsup wrote

If you want a chill/quiet atmosphere to work you should really consider getting a (free) library card and posting up in one of them! They obviously have wifi and most usually have some cool things like 3D printers or tool libraries. Plus it gets you access to streaming services like Kanopy.

1212kina t1_ja9v7hl wrote

Plus, it’s BYOB.

NationalMyth t1_jaabaky wrote

I mean yeah nothing stopping you from bringing your own books, but it's a library. They already have some.

ObviousGazelle t1_jaaf4ku wrote

Each seat is a money maker. Don't just sit and expect people to wait on you for 5 hours while you sip coffee when that 5 hour period could have produced a 100 dollars in tips for the waiter alone, not even considering the amount of money you're burning on their dime in return. It costs money to turn on the lights, heat the place to comfortable in these conditions with the front door constantly opening, and have everything on the menu ready for you on a whim. If the lights are on the grill is hot and the taps are pressurized and that costs a lot of money too. The trick to making money in that game is fast happy turnover of customers. A seat is the real estate. Don't park your big rig in front of it and block it up on sale day.

ASK FIRST.

Find a slow bar and tip egregiously well because someone is going to feel they need to make sure you're well taken care of the whole time you're doing it, so regardless if you order or not that deserves payment.

mibfto t1_jaaybxj wrote

RHouse is my go-to for this kind of environment. Tons of space, lots of food options, good wifi, and given the amount of space you're unlikely to be taking a seat from a better paying customer.

Interesting_Loan_425 t1_jab3u99 wrote

Do you, genuinely not trying to make you feel bad about it, but honestly I hate when I see laptops in bars. I’m trying to relax and be as far from work as possible and now I’m next to some guy plugging away at an excel doc. I’d go get drunk in a wework if I wanted that.

That said, R House is a good bet, that place is already just an airport food court, a laptop certainly isn’t out of place.