Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

wbruce098 t1_j7fmo63 wrote

This is my take but…

In my experience, talk to the teachers and school counselors. Most of my son’s teachers were more than happy to engage with me and keep me updated on his progress. He’s a middling B/C student based on test scores alone, but the feedback I got from his teachers helped us make sure he graduated and understood the concepts. Often we assume the school will do it for us, but they have many other students to account for, and metrics to focus on. I can’t afford private school, so carving out the time to make sure my kid attended, and got his assignments turned in adequately completed helped make sure he graduated and got accepted into a local college.

It wasn’t easy, and the last year of school was hella stressful for both of us for a number of reasons, but it paid off.

I don’t think most schools are “bad” per se, even in Baltimore. Some are much better than others, but most of a school experience is what the parent makes of it. Most teachers WANT their kids to learn. Our children are a long term investment in our family’s ability to grow, and reach or maintain middle class livelihoods, and support our communities.