Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BigVikingBeard t1_j9y1igf wrote

How exactly are people in the black butterfly supposed to get educated in sub-standard schools with under-supported and stressed the fuck out teachers, all while trying to teach kids who get shown every single day that life is stacked the fuck against them.

What yearly budget? There aren't a lot of worthwhile jobs.

What meal planning? There aren't really any grocery stores.

They can see beyond what's in front of their face, but literally surviving what is front of their face takes precedent over everything else.

They don't care about themselves and others because that requires having a potential future. And these kids grow up being shown that they have no future without putting in an endless Sisyphean level of effort.

And then we wonder why these kids grow up cynical as fuck and join gangs and shit.

And then no one invests in the butterfly because it's "full of crime".

And then we get more cynical kids...

And so on, forever.

three_stories_tall t1_j9y4d1s wrote

Csx has a project where they pay their employees to go to high schools one day a month and promote their job shadow program to seniors. Guaranteed $30/hr job when they graduate. Some kids get into it but never take the job.

Every city sponsored construction project will hire know nothing laborers if they live in the city. Usually there's a giant banner at the gate. That pays $18/hr and you will learn a trade by the end of the project. Usually only one or two guys will show up.

Opportunity is there for the taking.

BigVikingBeard t1_j9y754d wrote

Okay, great, a scant few physical labor opportunities are there. Not everyone is cut out for physical labor / trades. Not everyone wants to or can be an electrician, steam fitter, welder, carpenter, whatever. Can it be a decent career? Sure. Is it for everyone? Fuck no.

That's before even getting in to the atrocious work/life balance culture that the trades foster, especially outside of unions. You want to tell me that 40 and beyond hours a week of manual labor with limited or no vacation time, shitty healthcare, a culture of companies getting mad if you take time off for being sick, nevermind having to work around a shit load of insanely racist dipshits is particularly appealing to an 18/19yo black kid from the butterfly?

And that's not even getting in to transportation costs and/or the time investment if they have to use our shitty public transit of getting to these jobs.

White people in the L have white collar jobs available to them that pay better, have better work/life balance, better Healthcare, and so on an so forth.

And either way, it doesn't change my point. The kids are still growing up with deeply ingrained cultural cynicism towards life, towards their still ongoing oppression. Those few jobs might lessen the slope of Sisyphus' Hill, but it definitely doesn't remove their struggle.

pin-head-Larry t1_j9yf8f1 wrote

You must think really highly of blue collar workers calling them racist dipshits

BigVikingBeard t1_j9ygpfz wrote

I'm a fucking union electrician, dipshit. I see the shit every fucking day.

You must've never worked a blue collar job if you think my comment is in some way inaccurate.

The amount of white dudes wearing some flavor of either obvious dog whistle bullshit all the way through to rebel flag hardhats plastered with Trump bullshit is legion.

Why the fuck would a bunch of black kids, who already have to deal with societies constant daily racism, want to go to a job site to work around people who make it a fucking point to wear their very very special snowflake fashy bullshit?

That's not even getting into the absurd amount of racist bullshit that gets scrawled inside every fucking portapot on a construction site.

Kush_gawdd t1_j9yk5gm wrote

Someone hung a BLACK BABY DOLL by a noose on my jobsite in 2021. It was in sparrows point md.

gmp012 t1_j9yiok0 wrote

Okay. Start with voting out the current sess poll of "representatives" that run this city.

You know it, I know it, We all know it. That the city government needs a huge reset button.

What comes next, I'm not sure...

r3rg54 t1_j9zd9fs wrote

> What meal planning? There aren't really any grocery stores.

While grocery store access is a very important problem in the city, we are in a thread talking about drivers. Access to a car greatly increases access to grocery stores.

BigVikingBeard t1_j9zfqm7 wrote

And I responded to a comment talking about education, budgets, and meal planning.

Why are you responding to me and not the person I responded to?

gaytee t1_j9zp5gd wrote

Because you’re really angry for some reason. There are problems in every industry, but very few industries will pay pretty well even just to learn, and then even better after some experience. And within a 10 year streak you can go from minimum wage to six figures. Nobody’s hiring software engineers who can’t engineer, trades are all still a viable path for everyone who didn’t get other options. Learn a trade. Build a business, own a share of a successful business once you want to stop swinging a hammer or whatever. More of the boats in the white Marlin open are owned by successful blue collar business owners than any other market and you want to sit here and cry about all the negatives instead of seeing the positives.

BigVikingBeard t1_j9zsxfh wrote

Oh noes, I'm not sugar coating the bullshit for yall. So sad. Sorry I didn't feel like being diplomatic towards your fucking high horse bullshit.

Regardless, apparently none of you motherfuckers can read well. And apparently you subscribe to the capitalist bullshit, "just try harder" nonsense that permeates our society.

Fuck your, "just go into the trades, just start a business, it's so easy." bullshit. I don't have the energy to bother detailing a response that you won't read or retain about why that stupid shit is so fucking tiring to here from idiot white middle class people who are completely, and willfully, oblivious to the struggles that non middle class people face.

gaytee t1_ja00n3e wrote

Whatever your problem is my guy, screaming about it incoherently into the void won’t ever help prove your point more, digitally, or gain more respect IRL. Have yourself a nice lil Saturday!

BigVikingBeard t1_ja06kps wrote

Man, your sense of self is completely fucking out of whack if you think any of my comments were "screaming."

Irked, sure, screaming, lol no. Get over yourself.