Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dopkick t1_jarl19u wrote

Cannot speak for the apartments themselves.

However, the area is simultaneously centrally located but not really close to anything. There's a pretty limited amount of interesting things in the blocks immediately surrounding those apartments. If you're looking for bars and restaurants within easy stumbling distance, this is not the place. If you're okay with a bit of a walk/scooter/bike it is equidistant to a good chunk of what Baltimore has to offer.

Personally, I'd rather be close to some things. It's really nice to be able to walk a few blocks and have a bunch of restaurant/coffee/bar/whatever options available to me. I feel like the value of being centrally located is rather minimal since the public transportation here isn't great. If centrally located meant easy access to a vast, efficient public transportation network I'd have a different opinion, but we don't have that here in Baltimore. Commuting from those apartments to Fells Point is about the same level of commitment as commuting from Fed Hill to Fells Point. It might take longer from Fed Hill but both are going to likely be very conscious choices.

dickpickdan t1_jas1x5q wrote

Couldn’t agree more. When I lived downtown, it was really nice to be central to everything. We spent time in Fed, LP, Station North, MV, Fells, inner harbor, even Charles Village. We had to leave DT to do much of anything. Now that I am in upper fells, I do not leave fells.

It was really great for where we were in our lives and wanting to explore more of the city. But now I’m content with my little corner of Baltimore.

dopkick t1_jas3eye wrote

I was in a similar situation. When I lived in the burbs I visited more neighborhoods within Baltimore. I had to drive and the time difference between Hampden, Fells, and Canton (as random examples) is negligible compared to the commitment of actually having to get into the car. The fact that I had to drive was the annoying part, not necessarily the parking or commute time to a specific neighborhood.

Since I've been in Fed Hill for some time I spend a disproportionately larger amount of time within south Baltimore. Convenience is king and for day to day stuff there's really not much being offered by other neighborhoods to make it worth visiting them. The value proposition of ubering to bars and restaurants in other neighborhoods is usually just not there, unless you're going to a nice place. For the random "I'm hungry right now and don't have time to cook" situation there's zero reason to leave the neighborhood.

Snoo-Snoo2 t1_jatebm8 wrote

It might depend on the kinds of things you want to be close to. There’s a nearby grocery store that is pretty good (walkable) and plenty of good restaurants around in Mt Vernon (10-15 min walk). It’s convenient for getting to various neighborhoods - just a short bus to fed hill, Hampden, and Fells. It’s probably not the best neighborhood if you are real into bar nightlife. As an older non-drinker, I love living downtown.