Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Xanny t1_je0rijj wrote

Now how about a conversation about rehabilitating our dilapidated sewer and water infrastructure, preferrably with Annapolis since Bmore city provides it to the county and I think northern AA too?

Animanialmanac t1_je22kfv wrote

We need state help for our water and sewer system. I live in Southwest Baltimore, Saint Agnes Violetville neighborhood. Six of the twelve rowhomes on my block flooded with sewage during the last rainstorm. My home and the others that didnā€™t flood are only safe because we got grants from the old neighborhood association to install special valves and pumps. Vacant homes on the next block also have sewage in the basements, and homeless people squatting in them. Weā€™ve had no help from the city for two or three years, the squatters have open sores Iā€™m sure are worse from contact with sewage, the area smells horrible when itā€™s warm, sometimes you can see ā€œfloatablesā€ like human feces and wet toilet paper in the alley after rainstorms. No sane person would buy a home here or make a business investment. We need the state to take over to push the fixes for the water and sewer system, the city DPW and city council arenā€™t doing anything that I can see. Iā€™ve written to Governor Moore asking for help.

Matt3989 t1_je0znk8 wrote

>Now how about a conversation about rehabilitating our dilapidated sewer and water infrastructure

Do you think that we're just... not working on our infrastructure?

Xanny t1_je16cyc wrote

looks at all the basements flooded with sewage yea, pretty much

Like the point is current investment is insufficient to maintain these systems. The maintenance backlog is extensive but letting it get this bad to begin with is also expensive, having to put out every systemic proverbial fire costs the city a lot day over day where well maintained there would be a lot less crisis situations happening.

2020steve t1_je2bzkz wrote

Sewage disasters have become cultural here. Everyone I know has a horror story about a sewer line collapsing or their basement flooding.

rmphys t1_je2826r wrote

I think we're spending a lot of money and lining a lot of politicians pockets to look like we're working on our infrastructure.