Submitted by smoovgee t3_y0ln2g in baltimore

When it randomly pops in my head. "Damn, I need to pay the water bill."

​

​

Speaking of which, I really do need to pay my water bill.

Wes Moore was on WYPR this morning. Sheilah Kast asked about the water bill.

Wes Moore wants to lead Maryland | WYPR

Seems like he's following Hogan's playbook by going to every county, talking to folks, mainly yall seditious southerners.

Question: Just general curiosity. Do you pay your water bill every month? Do you GET your water bill each month? I don't, not consistently, once in a while.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

danhalka t1_irshu9e wrote

Same. There's no online notification option, afaik. Years of the city's sporadic issuance, intermittent mail delivery, and fluctuating/suspect totals have trained me to treat this one bill in a unique way.

EfficiencySuch6361 t1_irso3si wrote

It was a quarterly bill for a long time, which I preferred

mrm0324 t1_irsoolf wrote

I remember about 10 or so years ago I paid 140 quarterly now I’m happy if my bill is $95 a month

Pale-Cantaloupe-9835 t1_iru7alh wrote

Mine is $120 monthly for 2 people! My mom pays $25 a quarter just over the city/ county line. The city customers are not paying for water, we’re paying politicians to line their pockets while the pipes, infrastructure and quality of continue to decline!

mrm0324 t1_iru7jqf wrote

Oh I agree. It’s sad. County residents get the same water city residents do for a fraction of the price.

metalmola t1_irveylm wrote

I was under the impression that the difference in cost is because county residents are paying the majority via property taxes, rather than being billed directly for the entire amount.

Pale-Cantaloupe-9835 t1_iru7xa5 wrote

The “oh crap I haven’t paid the water bill in a few months” thought happens too often for me. So I pay $400 every few months. Hitting even harder.

Nitzelplick t1_irvt6kw wrote

City water is required to pay directly from rate payers. County uses general funds. It’s a statutory artifact that should be amended to lessen the burden on City residents. But also, DPW needs to get their act together collecting money from big corporate users.

mrm0324 t1_irvtcs6 wrote

Yeah I remember reading that there are so many big companies etc that have had huge outstanding water bills for quite some time.

explodingkneez t1_irsjoor wrote

You can be pay online with or without the bill

engin__r t1_irsu9zt wrote

I pay it every month electronically when they send the paper bill in the mail.

frolicndetour t1_irstyng wrote

Nah every few months when I think about it. The late fee is so small that it doesn't bother me. Never let it get up in the thousands though. I think 350 is the highest I let it get.

baltimoron21211 t1_irtsn3p wrote

Every 3-4 months when it his like $300 because WHY IS MY WATER $100 a month.

cortolillo87 t1_irt2h5i wrote

I bought my house over a year ago. Just got my first bill 2 weeks ago. Even after reaching out and requesting a bill.

NeatLeft t1_irtf0c5 wrote

City water bill is CRAZY high… no way I could let that build up 3+ months.

ProfessorSpecial19 t1_irtojsi wrote

Public service announcement. If your city water bill is high check to make sure you don’t have an easily fixable plumbing issue like a running toilet. I had a toilet water fill valve that would stick and it ran while I was away on vacation for a long weekend and the bill was crazy high that month. If you hear the sound of water running in your toilet tank you need to fix that shit right away. All the parts in the tank of a toilet are easy to replace, $20 worth of plastic from Home Depot or ace. Real easy instructions or pay someone to do it.

addctd2badideas t1_iru6r9v wrote

I fixed all of my plumbing issues but still had an unreasonably high water bill. I asked for it to be reviewed but they never got to me before I moved out of the city to the county... for which I still rely on the city's water supply for some ungodly reason.

gizmojito t1_irtgxp3 wrote

I usually receive my water bill in the mail regularly. I have a monthly reminder on my calendar so I go on the website and pay monthly.

SisqoEngineer t1_irskk3d wrote

The new billing system allows you to setup autopay finally!

You need to find your account number here https://pay.baltimorecity.gov/water

Then go here and register: https://ipn.paymentus.com/cp/bcgp

Source: https://finance.baltimorecity.gov/payment-faqs

_The_Bear t1_irsmdcn wrote

I don't trust the city of Baltimore enough to set up autopay. I'm sure as hell not trying it to my bank account. It's not that hard to log in once a month and pay your water bill. Just do it when you pay your other bills.

mrm0324 t1_irsoibm wrote

I would never ever put my water bill in autopay. That is putting a lot of trust in the city and their billing system that I do not have.

bad_with_stress t1_irsqmto wrote

When I bought my house in April the title guy talked about how he had someone who had to refinance their house because the city hit them with a $25k bill one month, obv incorrect, but the city made them pay it and then get a refund later lmao. So yeah, idk about autopay, I’ll just peep the website once a month.

mrm0324 t1_irsqufo wrote

Wow that’s horrible. I’ve heard too many horror stories to put my water bill on auto pay.

MidContrast t1_irtaz5t wrote

lmao didnt they get cyberhacked for crypto? They barely even send me bills on time, I'm not trusting them to hold on to my info

megalomike t1_irsgk74 wrote

Same, pay it off around 300.

jeweynougat t1_irtoxwa wrote

I always get it in the mail but wish I didn't. It's just another thing to throw away and I pay online.

I pay it late every single month because pretty much all my bills are due around the 30th and the water bill is due like the 23rd and I just prefer to do them all in one day, plus not a week early. I've never been charged any kind of penalty.

Titus-V t1_irtybi4 wrote

I pay my water bill about every 2-3 months when I remember. I don’t receive any notification. Water bill still in the name of the previous owner. Has been this way for 9 years and I have given up the fight trying to change it.

iamaxc t1_irsy2ex wrote

I get and pay my water bill monthly after having let my partner "take care of it" for a year, which meant it just wasn't paid for a full year and we forked over like a $2k lump sump or something.

yourcollegecounselor t1_iru9rjn wrote

Wait, you can do that? You can not pay it every month without penalty? I would rather pay it once every 3 months...once/month is so annoying for this type of bill.

smoovgee OP t1_irvfdx6 wrote

Yeah. Some have mentioned penalty but I've never seen one. Then again, I never looked to see.

Maddie4699 t1_irvip1m wrote

We pay it quarterly, but I had read that this quarter we don’t have to pay it due to the E-Coli thing. I might be mistaken though.

Opposite_Selection_3 t1_irvmxh0 wrote

$21000 / 18 months unpaid = $1166

Why is no one asking him the reason for a $1200 a month average water bill!? That is an insane amount of water use. I am not even sure how one accomplished this. Does he have a leak and is not even aware if it?

smoovgee OP t1_irvn9un wrote

He paid it because the optics was bad. The Moores will have an audit and probably get a refund. This is why I'd never do auto pay with any utility. Especially water. You'll have a leak and never know until the bill comes. Plus they have a pool so that may account for some of it but not $21k worth.

Opposite_Selection_3 t1_irw15vq wrote

Exactly what I was thinking. He knows he is gonna win as governor and then use that power to flex on the city to have all this resolved. My guess is he has a leak but was so busy with his campaign he just didn't pay attention. Once you have a crack in a pipe that bill goes to the moon. I have learned that from experience.

neofresh t1_irvrq7j wrote

From what I read he had a dispute. I’ve been there 10 years ago when they read my meter wrong. $3700 bill was fixed in 3 months. All the time I didn’t pay. I bet understood what happened.

Like a PP said, he’s probably in for a 20K refund.

Opposite_Selection_3 t1_irw1avj wrote

What is interesting is that if you look up his house he only paid 15k. There is still a balance.